1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color egg help?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by magsrags, Feb 24, 2009.

1. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    What color eggs might a hen lay....that has been crossed between a black Araucana roo....over a pure silkie? Anyone have any ideas please?
    I hatched this combo and it is so pretty and interesting. All black...black skin....10 toes.....black eyes/beak......and appears to be rumpless having only a smidgon of a tail feather or 2 at just over 3 weeks old.
    Regular feathers unlike a silkie.... and LONG legs...some light feathering on the top of the legs only..LOL
    If a hen I wonder if she will lay colored eggs or cream eggs like silkies lay.Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My silkieXaraucanas have laid eggs the colour of the green plastic easter eggs. Much prettier than the usual drab green that always look a bit muddy in colour from a typical cross with a brown egg layer (sorry to those who like olive coloured eggs--I don't care for that colour for anything).

If you breed back to a silkie you might eventually get silkies that lay green or blue green eggs [​IMG]

3. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Reall??? Oh now THAT would be fun!!!
    Thanks so much for replyingg. Fingers crossed for hen for sure! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by