What color eggs to BO's lay?

Plain Old Dee

Songster
10 Years
Oct 30, 2009
Seminole, OK
I have quite a mix of hens/pullets in my flock. I've only got a couple of hens that have been old enough to lay - the rest are just getting to that age. My hens (I have NO idea what breed they are) have been laying very brown eggs. Recently, my BO girls' combs have enlarged and turned red, and the last couple of days I've found a couple of very light tan colored eggs in the nest. I thought maybe my BO's had finally started to start earning their keep.

I also have some RIRs, but their combs are still small and pink - though a couple of them have started getting a little bigger. I haven't seen any of the pullets doing the "egg squat."

I have a dozen B.O. 's in my yard, the range that I get is a very light tan to medium brown {R.I.R. colored} With my girls, no two eggs are the same shade.

Last edited:
Woo hoo!!!!! That means they've started laying! Yes? Yippee!!!!
wee.gif
D.gif
bun.gif

Mine lay a medium, light brown-pinkish egg. When they lay. I've only got two laying right now, one BO occasionally, and a RIR who lays every single day. The rest are slackers!

I was expecting pullet sized eggs. That's part of what threw me off. I guess my girls decided to skip the small eggs and went straight to the large eggs. I'm not going to complain!
celebrate.gif

The few Orph's that I have lay a med-lrg light brown egg, so maybe they have started laying.

AL

Back
Top Bottom