What color eggs to BO's lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Plain Old Dee, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I have quite a mix of hens/pullets in my flock. I've only got a couple of hens that have been old enough to lay - the rest are just getting to that age. My hens (I have NO idea what breed they are) have been laying very brown eggs. Recently, my BO girls' combs have enlarged and turned red, and the last couple of days I've found a couple of very light tan colored eggs in the nest. I thought maybe my BO's had finally started to start earning their keep.

I also have some RIRs, but their combs are still small and pink - though a couple of them have started getting a little bigger. I haven't seen any of the pullets doing the "egg squat."

2. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    I have a dozen B.O. 's in my yard, the range that I get is a very light tan to medium brown {R.I.R. colored} With my girls, no two eggs are the same shade.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  3. Plain Old Dee

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Woo hoo!!!!! That means they've started laying! Yes? Yippee!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I have a flock of orps and they lay all shades of brown starting from light tan to med. brown. Some larger than others.

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    My only BO lays a light brown with white speckles egg. They started med. small and after two weeks have worked up to med. size.

6. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    pretty light brown color

7. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

Mine lay a medium, light brown-pinkish egg. When they lay. I've only got two laying right now, one BO occasionally, and a RIR who lays every single day. The rest are slackers!

8. Plain Old Dee

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    I was expecting pullet sized eggs. That's part of what threw me off. I guess my girls decided to skip the small eggs and went straight to the large eggs. I'm not going to complain![​IMG]

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The few Orph's that I have lay a med-lrg light brown egg, so maybe they have started laying.

AL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by