What color eggs?

Pink egg shell genetics are not well understood. I think @AMERAUCANAS4REAL was looking into them for a genetics calculator (forgive me if I tagged the wrong person) so she(?) probably understands them better than anyone else on this site. I recall that she posted that the pink tint is the blume. Also, the egg shells are brown (not white), but not dark brown. Since there are a lot of brown egg genes, and they're not well-documented, it's pretty much impossible to figure out what one hen has.

So I imagine you'll get slightly paler eggs with a pink tint.

I think you may be interested in Croad langshan eggs? They're plum coloured, and very interesting looking. (Of course, the example below is probably from a highly bred flock far outside my budget range.)

69eb910b2e4d476d1c3fe45e75fa0403.jpg

Pink egg shell genetics are not well understood. I think @AMERAUCANAS4REAL was looking into them for a genetics calculator (forgive me if I tagged the wrong person) so she(?) probably understands them better than anyone else on this site. I recall that she posted that the pink tint is the blume. Also, the egg shells are brown (not white), but not dark brown. Since there are a lot of brown egg genes, and they're not well-documented, it's pretty much impossible to figure out what one hen has.

I think you may be interested in Croad langshan eggs? They're plum coloured, and very interesting looking. (Of course, the example below is probably from a highly bred flock far outside my budget range.)

I was the one looking into the egg genetics. :3

My sister has Langshans and while they do sometimes have a pink bloom, hers at least are a lighter brown so they don't look like this picture.

The pink color is caused by a brown tint on the eggs. Most of what is seen on a dark brown egg shell is an outer layer of color and can actually be washed off. (though some coloring does go all the way through) The pink tint appears when there is a ticker bloom on the shell of any brown egg, whether it's a light brown or dark brown doesn't really matter. It's the pigment that's been trapped in the bloom.

If you were to cross your BCM over a Pink shell layer, assuming your BCM is from a #4 shell color line. You'd probably get around a #3, you might maybe get the thicker bloom you might not. That is a trait that you could breed for, but it would be difficult because it's not something that's fully understood.

I like those

If you ever get a picture of those eggs, please share! :wee
The pink color is caused by a brown tint on the eggs. Most of what is seen on a dark brown egg shell is an outer layer of color and can actually be washed off. (though some coloring does go all the way through) The pink tint appears when there is a ticker bloom on the shell of any brown egg, whether it's a light brown or dark brown doesn't really matter. It's the pigment that's been trapped in the bloom.

If you were to cross your BCM over a Pink shell layer, assuming your BCM is from a #4 shell color line. You'd probably get around a #3, you might maybe get the thicker bloom you might not. That is a trait that you could breed for, but it would be difficult because it's not something that's fully understood.

Back
Top Bottom