1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What color? Hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HuestisFarm, Sep 27, 2008.

1. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Here's my OEGB. I was told this was a roo -- yes, no? He had a longer tail feather that appears to have been cut by one of my other chickens. And I'd like to determine his color also. Lavender or Self Blue?

[​IMG]

Also - here are my other Bantam boys. The one with the single comb is a Partridge Rock, correct? And the rose combs are Partridge Wyandottes, yes?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Self blue and Lavender are the same thing..... just one is a more specific term and one more easily recognized. I would say yes and yes a roo.....

Wyandottes can have single combs. It's a throwback thing and many say they have better fertility??? Nice looking birds [​IMG]

3. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Quote:Oh, I didn't know that. Thank you! [​IMG]

Quote:Didn't know that either (about the comb)... so are they PRs or PWs do you think?

And thank you - I think they're quite handsome myself! [​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Based on the ones with the Rose combs.. I would say Wyandottes..... though, I am not familiar with the breed as I don't actually have any yet myself... but hopefully next year! [​IMG]

5. HuestisFarm

HuestisFarm Songster

Sep 23, 2008
    Fly Creek, NY
    Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: