What color is he? Cockerel from APA Ameraucana parents

I know this is an old post, but hoping I can resurrect it to ask a similar question. I bought a few Ameraucana from a local breeder (one black too, one blue, and a handful of black hens). I had to cull the black roo after awhile, but there was possible blue mixed into the line now. I've hatched out several chicks since, all black (possibly very dark blue).

However, I just ran two hatches with maybe 10 chicks. The first hatch gave me (surprisingly) a very pale blue and yellow chick. I thought, "ah, tricky blue genetics!". But she feathered out all white. Now, even more surprised in this second hatch when 3 very white chicks and a (I think really this time) blue popped out. The blue this time is solid silvery color.

My hypothesis is that somewhere along the way my Roo and one hen obtained a recessive white gene. They now REALLY like each other (although the 25% chance seems to be presenting statistically too often. Why?).

Maybe I also have one dark blue hen? Would a male (black, white) crossed with a blue hen produce a pale blue chick? I'd think if he gave the black and the hen gave her blue, then that could happen?

I only know enough about genetics to confuse myself. My questions are...

Are whites that hatch from blacks inferior? Is there a way to add another color to my situation to determine what the heck is happening (and with whom)? Like the above adding a splash? Or a blue?

Are my two Ameraucana now considered EE if they're in the se pen and are not producing to true color 50% of the time? But if I seperate them with ther mates then they'd be Standard again?

So confused!

Back
Top Bottom