1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color is this chick??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by daze333, Nov 29, 2010.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I bred a frizzle birchen cochin to a black cochin and got this. What do you call it? It looks like the reverse of a birchen. Her body is yellow with black on her wings and tail. Columbian? Help![​IMG]
    She is 4 wks old and her feathers are just now starting to stick out a bit. I breed frizzles and this shouldn't happen at this age. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You sure that was the parentage? Black x Birchen will give solid black birds with a tiny leakage/trickle of silver.

What I'm seeing is possibly Columbian in there, but I'm more betting that there's partridge, duckwing, or something else to the likes as well. . . What other color of Cochins do you have?

What color was the chick at hatching point? Solid yellow? Did it have any stripes? I would imagine it to have some form of stripes or darkness on the back.

3. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Hi Illia,
    Yes that is the only cochins that my friend has that hatched these babies. She has silkies, but in a different pen. They looked pretty much the same as chicks, just less black, but still visible on the wings. I only got her at about 2 wks old and she has always looked this way with me. I just don't know what color to call her? If you just went by what she looks like what would you call her? (closest color match)
    Thanks!

4. daze333

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Yes I did get some black cochins with silver leakage from her too. Also here is a pic of the cockerel with that same coloring. Do you think those couldn't have come from the same parents?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The bird/s in the first two and fourth picture look to have lacing in the feathers. I would say that one of the parents are out of a Silver Laced bird..
    I don't see a Columbian pattern in any of the birds.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by