Buckskins have a black dorsal stripe and black points. It is one of my favorite colors.

Not all buckskins have a dorsal stripe. Those that do are sometimes called "dunskins," because they have the dun gene (black+agouti+dun). Those sorts of buckskins often have other dun characteristic like tiger stripes, facial cobwebbing and shoulder bars, but not always.

Another gene combination also produces a color that is usually called buckskin (black+agouti+cream). Cream dilutes red to gold or yellow, but affects the black pigment to a lesser extent when heterozygous. Buckskins with cream will usually have points that are black or dark brown, but no dorsal stripe; two copies of cream turns a buckskin into a perlino.

This horse is clearly a roan horse. He is not sunbleached, by evidence of the solid chestnut color of his head (not counting his white facial markings). He has a mix of white and solid hairs on his body which is clear indication of roaning, and is not a dun (though it would be possible for him to have that gene, too, there is no evidence of it). As you go down his legs, you will note the white hairs lessen in number as you go down. This horse has white stockings, so that masks the fact that his lower legs would be solid color chestnut (like his head) which is typical of the roan coloration. Without the roan, this horse would be a chestnut with a light mane and tail, which is not an uncommon color of horse. By a horse person this horse would still be called a red roan (even though not sorrel), because he is not a "blue roan" or a "bay roan". Never the less, he is a roan from a chestnut base color.

the solid chestnut color of his head (not counting his white facial markings). He has a mix of white and solid hairs on his body which is clear indication of roaning. As you go down his legs, you will note the white hairs lessen in number as you go down. This horse has white stockings, so that masks the fact that his lower legs would be solid color chestnut (like his head) which is typical of the roan coloration.

20180625_115021-jpg.1443850

Things that say "roan:"
Solid colored head - no, there are a lot of white hairs on this horse's face (look at his jaw/cheek).
Solid colored legs - no, there are lots of white hairs on these legs, even just above the socks.
Inverted "v" of change between solid leg and body color - nope.

Things that say "sabino:"
White on face and/or on legs - yes.
Irregular face marking - yes.
Chin spot -yes

:idunno

20180625_115021-jpg.1443850

Things that say "roan:"
Solid colored head - no, there are a lot of white hairs on this horse's face (look at his jaw/cheek).
Solid colored legs - no, there are lots of white hairs on these legs, even just above the socks.
Inverted "v" of change between solid leg and body color - nope.

Things that say "sabino:"
White on face and/or on legs - yes.
Irregular face marking - yes.
Chin spot -yes

:idunno
You know, I think you are right, I am sorry to say that I was looking at the wrong picture when I wrote that, one that someone other than the OP had posted. My bad....

Back
Top Bottom