What color is this silkie chick? UPDATED pic!!!

I hope he is splash! He looked splash but must just be maturing strangely! Blue would be fine too! I love him either way! I can't wait to hear him try and crow! He is my first roo!

Any ideas for a name???

So is the final vote light blue or splash, and if we can't tell clearly should he not be used to start a b/b/s pen? Is he just "muddy"? Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to learn and try to put together a decent quality flock.

PS I just totally splurged and bought some Bobbi Porto b/b/s eggs!!!! He may just end up as a pet anyway if I can get those eggs to hatch!!! I CANT WAIT!!!!

That is just the cutest chicken ever! My daughters would oohhhh and awwww over him all day if I showed them.... and then beg for one. Good thing they are in bed now, lol. Very good thing I didn't see this before I bought my current chicks
smile.png

Quote:
Thats actually a splash, not a blue.

Thats very interesting. I only ordered blue and black silkies from Cackle last year. Here is a pic of a blue and a splash for comparison.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/Blue_Silkie_Bantam_Hen.jpg

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/splashsilkiehen.jpg

Those pics are both splashes. Splashes often have a white-ish background with dark blotches of blue on them, however, a splash can also have a light blue background and darker splotches which I think are harder to find and of better quality. If it has "splotches" of color all over its body, its a splash, not a blue. and the hatchery will have all their blues and splashes in the same pen, or if you ordered blue, they have a whole pen full of blue, you can still get splashes from that pen, so they would have no way to tell color, which is why they always put the note about Andalusian Blue in their catalogs so people know you will not necessarily get "blue" that you can get blue, black or splash.. A blue would be more even colored. Here are some splashes and some blue to compare.

splashes

5209007.jpg

3102007014.jpg

1102009060.jpg

622007030.jpg

Blue

sorry about the moving birds, they just will not hold still- but you can get the idea of what I mean about the color

61110051.jpg

5710025.jpg

8809074.jpg

Quote:
From this picture it looks like you have a blue with alot of color "bleeding" in the hackle area. I had a blue silkie youngster like that.

Thank you! That was kind of what I was thinking. SOOOO....He should not be used as a breeder is that correct? I am not interested in showing at the moment but I do have an intereste in at least BQ. If he can be used for breeding could I pair him with splash hens? I really like him so even if he shouldn't be a breeder he can live with my mixed flock!

Back
Top Bottom