What color is this silkie? Lavender, Silver, Self Blue?

I disagree and say they're the same thing.
The gene is known as the lavender gene (Lav).
The APA and ABA call the color self blue. Some breeders refer to it as self blues other refer to it as lavender.
There is no self blue genes. Self blue is just a term for the color the Lav gene produces. Same gene used for self blue, lavender, porcelain, isabel, etc.
Would love to see any info stating I'm wrong and they are indeed different genes.

Last edited:
Its fine to disagree, and we clearly do. Nothing you can tell me will change my mind. And I can think of nothing more to convince you as well. And I may be "technically" wrong, but I don't care. All I can say is, I raise Self Blue birds and Lavender birds and side by side they are clearly different colors. Even as chicks as well.

CFCF3C61-2AD5-4ED3-BCD6-96AACE30A2CF.jpeg
4AF263B7-531A-4F4E-B871-01922D7C8847.jpeg
Ok, I asked this question on yahoo answers... and that site is a bad choice for answers. Basically the best answer was, "it's a splash"... but I don't see any "splash" in it.

I bought some assorted silkie eggs off ebay and incubated them, she kept the colors in separate pens. Long story short it was my first incubation attempt and only 2/10 eggs hatched. Both happened to be labeled "blue".

The first one that hatched out was definitely the classic blue silkie, but the second one was much lighter colored. Almost white but it's not white. So the big question is: WHAT IS IT? I saw things like "Splash, Silver, Lavender, Self Blue" And it's just a bit frusterating cause I don't know what sort of genetics can make those colors. However, I will say that I'm pretty sure this is not a splash, because there's no spotting, it's just a solid light color.

Now it just so happens that I have a lavender ameraucana chick and the colors are almost completely identical. So I'm thinking maybe this is a lavender silkie, but I don't know if a blue x blue breeding could create lavenders or not.
And below is a pic of my lavender ameraucana chick for comparison.

This was my lavender silkie pullet trixie. Unfortunately she died in my arms from unknown causes ( I personally think it was bad genes. Her 2 brood mates died at 5 weeks of age.) she was 3 months old when she passed. :(

Its fine to disagree, and we clearly do. Nothing you can tell me will change my mind. And I can think of nothing more to convince you as well. And I may be "technically" wrong, but I don't care. All I can say is, I raise Self Blue birds and Lavender birds and side by side they are clearly different colors. Even as chicks as well.
Ya there isn't anything wrong with disagreeing.
But if I'm wrong I'd like to be corrected and especially if I'm giving wrong info out to others.
I raise and have raised many of both myself and I agree to a point with what you're saying. Seems bantam breeds usually do appear a darker shade then LF in a lot of cases. But that doesn't mean they aren't the same gene at play.
I can't go with the idea of nothing you can say will change my mind or if I'm wrong I don't care. Ok if you do but I want to be correct or corrected.
To convince me all I need is something showing different genes at play between self blues and lavender.
Anything showing a self blue is using a different gene then Lav to dilute the color.
Both are black diluted by Lav. To me that says they're the same thing just called different names.

I have a lavender silkie rooster and would like to know if you have any lavender pullets/hens available for sale?

Back
Top Bottom