What color is this silkie? Lavender, Silver, Self Blue?

icyangel222

Songster
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
MN
Ok, I asked this question on yahoo answers... and that site is a bad choice for answers. Basically the best answer was, "it's a splash"... but I don't see any "splash" in it.

I bought some assorted silkie eggs off ebay and incubated them, she kept the colors in separate pens. Long story short it was my first incubation attempt and only 2/10 eggs hatched. Both happened to be labeled "blue".

The first one that hatched out was definitely the classic blue silkie, but the second one was much lighter colored. Almost white but it's not white. So the big question is: WHAT IS IT? I saw things like "Splash, Silver, Lavender, Self Blue" And it's just a bit frusterating cause I don't know what sort of genetics can make those colors. However, I will say that I'm pretty sure this is not a splash, because there's no spotting, it's just a solid light color.

Now it just so happens that I have a lavender ameraucana chick and the colors are almost completely identical. So I'm thinking maybe this is a lavender silkie, but I don't know if a blue x blue breeding could create lavenders or not.
And below is a pic of my lavender ameraucana chick for comparison.

I think its just a different shade of blue. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but self blue = lavender and those breed true. Definitely not splash as that would be white with spots on it. It is the same color as my blue cochin and my blue andalusians. A lavender X lavender cross would result in all lavenders. Whereas blue x blue results in 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash. I don't think you would get progeny from blues that breed that color true like the lavenders will.

Looks blue to me. Do dark for Lavender or Self Blue. There are several shades that fall into "Blue". Self Blue would be a little lighter and Lavender lighter yet.

Self blue and lavender are the same thing just different names.

Back
Top Bottom