What color is this silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TurtleFeathers, Mar 2, 2011.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi folks -

I'm hoping you can see these photos clear enough to ID this pullet's coloring - these were taken a couple months ago, and "Peaches" has filled out a bit since, so I can take more photos if necessary?

Is she lavender partridge, blue partridge or something else? Of course, I know she's very light in the pattern department, but this is typical of what my partridges are producing and I don't know why? I mean, everyone thinks they're beautiful, but they're not "proper". There is a blue partridge rooster that flock, and now I'm told that any or all of them *could* be split to lavender, but of course, there is no way to know for sure...

Why, oh WHY, do people mix lavender and Andalusian blue together???

With a flash:

[​IMG]

Without a flash:

[​IMG]

Your thoughts?

2. I got 2 birds like that out of my buffs last year. Strange, since I haven't seen any like that before from the birds.

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    They are very pretty Kat. Looks like a very light blue partridge. I would love to see updated pics!

4. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Hey where's mine that color? LoL She is so pretty!

Is that barring on her wing feathers?

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I'm going with blue partridge, also. She's beautiful!

6. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Isabel or Porcelain?
    i dont know but it sure is pretty

7. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks y'all - I like her, too! I'm leaning towards light blue partridge as well - I just wouldn't be THAT lucky to get anything along the lavender lines from a fluke breeding between two unknown and "possible" splits... [​IMG]

Deb - no, thats not barring, although it is a pattern - but more typical of partridges and greys, I think. Next time I get one like Peaches, she's yours!

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have to go along with porcelain, based upon how the colours look to me. That said, sometimes colours darken as the bird gets older. And if I saw the bird in person, not sure I would agree with it being lavender diluted, but from hte photo, that's what it looks like.

9. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote:Thanks Sonoran - that *would* be wonderful, but how would I find out if she's lavender diluted? I don't have a black or lavender silkie rooster to breed her to at the moment, and I don't know which of my partridges was her father.

I DO, however, have a very fertile lavender bantam cochin rooster - but if she's Andalusian blue, that breeding would be mixing blue with lavender, and I'd rather avoid that if possible. Or should I breed her to my blue partridge rooster (who *could* be split to lav and *could* also be her father) and see if they give me any splash partridges? I've never seen one of those, but I would imagine they're pretty recognizable? The only other silkie roosters I have to choose from are grey, blue and cuckoo.

I keep saying I gotta get a black silkie rooster - just haven't done it yet...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: