What color is this?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by racuda, Jun 21, 2017.

1. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have pied, white and pearl. These are the only colors I've had in the past eight years. This keet looks different than any I've had before.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

2. thunderclast

thunderclast In the Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    I call babies that look like that "chipmunk." It will probably change significantly in color before it gets its adult plumage.

3. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    That does not appear to be a guinea keet. Its coloration is more of a chicken color and not a guinea color. If you are positive that it hatched from a guinea egg, it could be a guinea/chicken hybrid but it looks like a chicken chick to me and not a guinea keet. A side view would be helpful to be able to see if the beak is that of a chick or a keet. From this angle it does not look like the beak of a keet.

thunderclast likes this.
  4. thunderclast

thunderclast In the Brooder

May 17, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    I agree, it looks more like a chick than a keet, I almost said the same. Although there are some pictures floating around on Google that show "keets" that look very similar to the one pictured above, I have not seen any with a distinctive white line like this one.

5. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    No pure keets have those type of markings on the top of the head. It is also too big to be a keet based on the size versus the hand it is sitting in. I am sure it is not a keet.

thunderclast likes this.
  6. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Well, I'm embarrassed! It is indeed a chick, most likely a cochin/icelandic cross. It hatched with the keets, so a cochin must have slipped an egg in the nest a week after I set the guinea eggs under two cochin hens. I didn't plan to hatch any mutts...

thunderclast likes this.
  7. R2elk

R2elk Free Ranger

Feb 24, 2013
    Natrona County, Wyoming
    :lau

thunderclast likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: