What color is this?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
I have pied, white and pearl. These are the only colors I've had in the past eight years. This keet looks different than any I've had before.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

I have pied, white and pearl. These are the only colors I've had in the past eight years. This keet looks different than any I've had before.

View attachment 1049576
That does not appear to be a guinea keet. Its coloration is more of a chicken color and not a guinea color. If you are positive that it hatched from a guinea egg, it could be a guinea/chicken hybrid but it looks like a chicken chick to me and not a guinea keet. A side view would be helpful to be able to see if the beak is that of a chick or a keet. From this angle it does not look like the beak of a keet.

That does not appear to be a guinea keet. Its coloration is more of a chicken color and not a guinea color.

I agree, it looks more like a chick than a keet, I almost said the same. Although there are some pictures floating around on Google that show "keets" that look very similar to the one pictured above, I have not seen any with a distinctive white line like this one.

I agree, it looks more like a chick than a keet, I almost said the same. Although there are some pictures floating around on Google that show "keets" that look very similar to the one pictured above, I have not seen any with a distinctive white line like this one.
No pure keets have those type of markings on the top of the head. It is also too big to be a keet based on the size versus the hand it is sitting in. I am sure it is not a keet.

Well, I'm embarrassed! It is indeed a chick, most likely a cochin/icelandic cross. It hatched with the keets, so a cochin must have slipped an egg in the nest a week after I set the guinea eggs under two cochin hens. I didn't plan to hatch any mutts...

Back
Top Bottom