What color Muscovy ducklings? edit: 12/10 And now they are laying!

Hi! Here they are now!

There were 2 black drakes, a chocolate drake, and 2 blue/brown drakes. There was a blue girl, a chocolate girl and 4 girls that were blue/brown (one of those has barring-type markings).
So y'all were right on the colors.
Here are the ones I kept and tell me if I'm calling the colors right and 'pairing them correctly'.
Black drake
10110038.jpg

with blue girl:
10110037.jpg

They should make black and blue 'lings, right?

Chocolate drake (on the left in the pic above w/ the black drake) with chocolate girl?
10110039.jpg

They should make all chocolate 'lings?

The blue/brown drake with the blue/brown and blue/brown barred girl (does this color have a name?)?
10110035.jpg

(didn't get girl pics)
What will they produce?

Or should I rethink the pairings?

Any idea why some have white blotches on their heads? Of the 2 black drakes, one had a white spot and one didn't. The one with white spot got mouthy (overly friendly) --- so I sent him, a blue/brown drake and 2 blue/brown girls to live with mypalDeb.

Thanks!
Lisa

Quote:
Hi Lisa,
Gordon X Rachel & Lydia = Chocolate Boys & Girls, Blue Fawn Boys & Girls and also Buff Boys & Girls (kinda like Black ,Blue,Splash but Chocolate, BlueFawn, Buff) and should have higher % of Blue Fawns.

Yaaay! Got my first Muscovy eggs this week. Not sure which of the four girls are laying because they are all together.
I had them penned separately and something killed the choc drake (he got loose and wouldn't come out of the woods and something got him).
So when I separate them again, who should I pair the chocolate girl with? The black or the blue fawn?
Black drake x chocolate duck = what?

Thanks again!
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
Lisa,
If you pair the chocolate girl with the black drake you will get all black with the males split to Chocolate(unless your black drake himself is split to Chocolate) and you probably will not know until you test breed. If he is split to chocolate you should get about 50% Black and 50% Chocolate.

If you put her with the Blue Fawn drake you will get Blue Fawn and Chocolates

If it were me I would put her with the Blue Fawn drake(I am guilty of loving the colors
hide.gif
).

Quote:
Muscovys are like most domestic ducks. They do NOT pair up. Males will easily kill females if only in pairs.. He will over breed her. I have had many friend loose females because they didnt have enouph... Sometimes my males have 10 hens to breed with and take care of all 10 just fine.

Ryan

Back
Top Bottom