What color orpingtons?

ThistleChick

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
Hi, everybody! I've not been around these forums in a long time, so I hope you'll forgive me for just popping in with a question
smile.png

My lovely blue Orpington, possum, went broody about a month ago. I'd been wanting some more chickens, so I got some eggs from ebay (from someone who'd been recommended to me) and today I'm the proud momma of five new little babies! (One egg didn't hatch). Now, I know the father was a blue orp and the mother was either a lavender or a splash. Any guesses as to what these little guys might be?

babychicks.jpg

You have Black, blue and splash. It takes 2 copies of the lavender gene to get a lavender bird. So you may have some hidden lavender there, but you won't know unless you breed two birds with the lavender gene together.

Hey
welcome-byc.gif
! What little cuties!

As is, it looks like what everyone else says top two probably splash, next dark is black, bottom is blue, and the one in between seems awfully dark for a blue but it seems lighter than the black so either black or a dark blue. Maybe a picture with different lighting? But I am wondering the genetics of the little guys. I am not good at telling the difference between splash and lavender. If the roo was a blue but split with lavender (hidden recessive gene) it is possible for you to have a lavender if the hen was also split or lavender.

Can you contact the seller and find out if any of his chickens are lavender splits?

Also congrats! Only having one not hatch is a really good hatch rate, especially for (I assume) shipped eggs!

The breeder has said there have been lavender chicks, so I'm assuming that the cockerel must have some lavender in him? I'm not up on the genetics, just love the chicks! The one on the bottom was a bit weak at first, but has perked up quite well
smile.png

Quote:
Gad to hear the little guy is getting stronger! You may want to get photos of just the light colored ones and do another post to see if anyone has opinions between splash and lavender. There are some eagle-eyed experts on here that can spot the difference. Wouldn't it be fun if you got 4 different colors?

Oh, that would too neat to have four different colors! I'll try and get a better shot later today and see what people think!

Back
Top Bottom