What color should Delaware x New hampshires pullets be

Gerry2011

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
NW Arkansas
I bought "Indian Rivers" (Delaware x New Hampshire) chicks (pullets) and I thought they would be red....and the roos white, but the pullets are white.

I also ordered a Delaware cockerel who is also white. They painted his comb area red to differentiate between him and the pullets. My question is why are the hens white?

These were bought from Cackle for what it's worth.

If the Delaware parent was the male in this hybrid situation, then yes, they should be white. However the males should grow up to have red and yellow shoulders, too. Otherwise, if the Delaware was the female, the offspring should only be white if male.

Thanks, I think I had it backwards.....that a white roo over a red hen would produce red pullets and white roos. I have red and black sex links too. So what are the probable parents for the bsl?

Quote:
If they are hatchery stock, usually the crosses they use are Production Red male over Barred Rock female and sometimes they will use New Hampshire male over Barred Rock females but the first combo is more widely used just because of population of the "pro reds", everybody has some, I think?
hmm.png
I do and just love them
lol.png

Yes the combo of the Delaware male over NH or any red columbian(Pro red, NH, or RIR) female will result in an all white progeny(Delaware patterned) the opposite combo is a red sex-link hybrid which results in white (Del patterned) males and buff/reddish females, usually the females will almost mimic the breeder cock in color.
wink.png

Jeff

tadkerson, thanks for the link....this time I'm marking it for future use. Then Delawares are not considered "white" birds, therefore not breaking the 2nd rule of not using white birds for sex-linked crosses? Only the pure whites such as wh. leghorns? I had found that page a day or so ago and was confused by the 2nd rule since I thought Dels were white. This is why I love BYC!! There is always something new to learn.

edited to add quote

Quote:
If they are hatchery stock, usually the crosses they use are Production Red male over Barred Rock female and sometimes they will use New Hampshire male over Barred Rock females but the first combo is more widely used just because of population of the "pro reds", everybody has some, I think?
hmm.png
I do and just love them
lol.png

Yes the combo of the Delaware male over NH or any red columbian(Pro red, NH, or RIR) female will result in an all white progeny(Delaware patterned) the opposite combo is a red sex-link hybrid which results in white (Del patterned) males and buff/reddish females, usually the females will almost mimic the breeder cock in color.
wink.png

Jeff

So red and black produce black. I think if I will completely read tadkerson's link I'll find that, but thanks for the brief and immediate info.

Last edited:
Quote:
hmm.png
I do and just love them
lol.png

wink.png

Jeff

So red and black produce black. I think if I will completely read tadkerson's link I'll find that, but thanks for the brief and immediate info.

Nope, the key word is BARRED not black, as black is the domininant gene and all offspring are black. Barring is sex linked, therefore the barred hen makes the male offspring black with barring, females black with red leakage (from the red cock).

Yeah Tims post on sex-linking is probly the most informative bit of information I've run across in years, good to have such guru's as he and Henk on here, you know?

Your quite welcome for the info, I try to help out fellow BYC'ers to the best of my ability, which isn't much. Most of it are repeats of others just like Tim and other brainy ones on here. If only I could remember
hmm.png
it all I'd have it made in the shade.
smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks for the "black" correction. Yeah, if only I could keep this stuff in my recallable memory it'd really help, but as long as I can tap into other people's info, guess I can live with my very fallible memory.

Back
Top Bottom