What color should the picnic table be?

gudrin

Songster
11 Years
Oct 30, 2008
Minnesota
We came home from my in-laws with some boards my husband made to redo the picnic table. It has a metal frame that is still in good shape, but the boards that are on it are all warped and weathered so it is unusable. Before we put the new boards on we would like to stain/paint them, but we don't really know what color. Our house is white with a bluish gray trim. Do we go with white or the trim color, or do we go with a general brown, or do we say forget all that and just seal it and leave it natural? The only problem with leaving them natural is that the two seat boards are green treated, and so they don't really match the rest. Would that be a problem with staining it too? We would like to get this done in the next couple of weeks before a party we're having so we can actually use the table. Thanks!

Redwood!!!!!! Nice color good contrast.

I haven't really thought about redwood. Hmm...We'll have to see what my husband thinks. I have bad experience from redwood picnic tables and benches staining clothes. Does that just depend on the stain?​

My personal theory (and this is a completely non-scientific theory based merely on non-consistant study) is that around here flies seem to be really attracted to the color red. My red coop is always covered up with flies. The white coops, not so much.
Just a thought...

If the treated boards are pretty new, they need to cure for a bit before they can be stained. You don't want to stain them yet if they are still wet-feeling from the treatment.

I'd go with something fun, like a pretty blue color to go coordinate with the house but to give some color, or I'd pick a totally new color and use it on the table and in some plant pots and other garden accents. I like fun colors outside.

Otherwise, I'd do a woodstain that was dark enough to cover over the greenish look of the treated wood.

I've seen tables done up as flags if you are patriotic.... Or in the colors of your favorite sports team if you have one... How about something different than a single color?

Quote:
I haven't really thought about redwood. Hmm...We'll have to see what my husband thinks. I have bad experience from redwood picnic tables and benches staining clothes. Does that just depend on the stain?

If you seal it you won't have that problem. Some people leave it unsealed for a more rustic look.

lemon yellow or a bright orange...think fall leaves.

I once saw an artistic picture in Madison, WI. and it was taken at a park and all of the picnic tables were leaning on one another and onto a tree like this \\\\\\\\\\ and they were the bright yellow and orange and the trees were changing colors so they also were yellow, orange, and red...it was sooo cool.

Back
Top Bottom