What color variety is this - Pharoah with red and white breast streaks

maycwindu

Songster
8 Years
Jul 26, 2014
[warning, photo of headless quail corpses below]

I recently culled two cockerels, one is a standard Pharoah, and the other is similar except sports an overall darker wash plus a lovely red, white, and black breast. I got them from someone who was mixing colors so I don’t know what the parentage was.

I thought he was female given the black spots, so it was a surprise when he started crowing and going into berserker rages with the others, hence the culling.

might be nice to get more females like this in my flock at some point, so if it is a result from mixing and anyone has tips on how to get something like this, please share!

Attachments

• AE09D884-DEB6-43DB-9024-51AAF4E430DF.jpeg
    AE09D884-DEB6-43DB-9024-51AAF4E430DF.jpeg
    600.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 90463682-3F20-491B-8591-204F74D185E2.jpeg
    90463682-3F20-491B-8591-204F74D185E2.jpeg
    514 KB · Views: 11
If I remember correctly, I believe the sparkly gene causes the diamond markings on the chest and belly area.

Copies from southwest gamebirds site:

“The Sparkly gene appears to amplify almost any color or plumage pattern without decreasing bird size. This is a unique color collection not only for its beauty and rarity, but also due to its jumbo size. The gene has a striking effect on varieties like Italian, Pearl Fee, Falb Fee, and even wild type. Pearl Fee Sparkly and Italian Sparkly become speckled on the entire bird, Falb Fee Sparkly males exhibit grey, brown, or peach tones through the ventral plumage, which is normally fully diluted, and wild type Sparkly males exhibit a deep brown diamond pattern on the ventral plumage, which is normally solid copper. The more we study the sparkly gene, the more it impresses us.”

If I remember correctly, I believe the sparkly gene causes the diamond markings on the chest and belly area.

Copies from southwest gamebirds site:

“The Sparkly gene appears to amplify almost any color or plumage pattern without decreasing bird size. This is a unique color collection not only for its beauty and rarity, but also due to its jumbo size. The gene has a striking effect on varieties like Italian, Pearl Fee, Falb Fee, and even wild type. Pearl Fee Sparkly and Italian Sparkly become speckled on the entire bird, Falb Fee Sparkly males exhibit grey, brown, or peach tones through the ventral plumage, which is normally fully diluted, and wild type Sparkly males exhibit a deep brown diamond pattern on the ventral plumage, which is normally solid copper. The more we study the sparkly gene, the more it impresses us.”
Sparkly gene! I love it! I think my Italian mix has it as well. Thank you!

Attachments

• 95337276-C4B0-4F7C-9771-50AEEE2FCF12.jpeg
    95337276-C4B0-4F7C-9771-50AEEE2FCF12.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom