What color will this chick be? no pic

Sylviaanne

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 17, 2012
Ozark, MO
I bought 2 dozen guinea eggs and she gave me 5 more. I picked them up. Out of 29 eggs, 12 made it to lock down, most of them were not fertile. This lady told me she had 98 guineas and assured me the eggs would be fertile. She said she had all colors but now I don't remember if she said they were all in together or if they were separated by colors.

The eggs were due to hatch on the 1st but have started today. I have 4 babies so far. 3 of them are the brown stripes you see and one is silver or grey.

What color do you think this little silver/grey one be as an adult? Is it a possible Lavender?

No photos... :/

Not an expert on Guinea fowl but read recently that even keeping lavenders together doesn't guarantee lavenders.

Best wishes.

New bird mama here. Same question but I do have a few pictures. Got my guineas and one is a lot lighter in overall color compared to the other 3. Anyone know what it will look like when it is mature? **and side question. how old are guineas when they start laying because I heard it was a different age than chickens** any helpful answers would be appreciated!! :D

The lighter looks like a lavender. Definetly not a coral blue because those don't have the lines going from the eye. They have white faces. Very pretty bird when matured! I heard that they begin to lay at 18 months. That was when mine began to lay but there are people who have guineas who lay much earlier. My guinea hens only lay during brewing season. One of my hens hatched a clutch earlier this year but the babies got snagged by something. Yesterday she played another egg . she wants to hach babies but I think she needs to retire, she is six. Anyway her last few hatches have been staggered and not many meets hatched.
Good luck with these beauties! They are my favorite birds to keep.

Thanks so much for the help!! And yes!! So far they are so much fun. What kinds of birds do you have GuineaFowling? :)

I'm getting chickens in a few days. Hoping for a good turnout!! Any tips GuineaFowling? They'll still be chicks around 4 weeks. :)

My light colored little guinea doesn't have as clearly defined lines on the top of it's head as sophcana's chick, it also has the line from it's eyes but where sophcana's chick looks speckled on the back, mine looks an even gray/brownish. I have 2 dr appts tomorrow but after that I will try to get some pictures of it. I suspect it might be a mix.

I also have a little brown striped one with a white chest and belly all the way under it to where the top back begins. Is this a particular color?

Last edited:
Sophcana, I feed my chickens natural organic feed. Nutrena Naturewise is all natural but not organic. Naturesmart is organic and I would feed that to my layers. For chicks, nutrena has various chick starters that are great. Another brand is Browns Encore, they sell layer pellets and chick starter and its organic and all natural. I give my hens feather fixer during their molts, earlier this year the feed store had a sale on feather fixer and I bought two cases of it. 90 pounds of feather fixer for only 15 dollars. I fed that to my hens instead of layer feed even though they weren't in a molt and they layed just as well but had the most gorgeous, shiny, colorful feathers. The feather fixer helps prevent mites and lice and people who show their birds feed it to them as a regular feed.
I also give my hens lots of fruit and veggies! Start feeding the greens to them as chicks and they will grow up loving them.

Sylviaanne, if you post a picture of your keets it would help. I don't think guineas breed mutations like quail. The will breed true colors even if you breed two different colors together. Sometimes you'll get different colors because the recessive genes begin to show. For example, if you breed a pied with a pearl you will get either all pied or all pearl or some of both. But sometimes you will get a color that's not pied or pearl and that color came to be because of the recessive genes of the parents.

Here is a link that you should really take a look at. It shows the keets and adults of various colors. http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/colors/
It helped me out a lot hen I first started with guineas.

This is two of my guineas with their guinea keets. The lighter color is a coral blue (he is the father, he looks grey because he was dirty) and the darker is a royal purple (the mother). Their babies are all royal purples. Some do have a kind of greyish face but they will still grow out to be royal purples not a mixture of the two. The only difference I have found with mixed babies is that they will have really pretty light blue or green or grey eyes. In this case the father has blue grey eyes and the mother has brown eyes. The babies all had stormy blue eyes when they were day olds to 3 weeks and then the eye color changed to blue green or blue grey like the dad.

these are pictures of her most recent keet and a keet I bought from the feed store.

the brown one is her keet. Unfortunately it got snagged by a cat.

royal purple and an opaline baby. The opaline is very light, almost white but has faded blue/silver markings on head and back.

Back
Top Bottom