What color would you call this feather legged chick?

teddiliza

Songster
11 Years
Feb 1, 2008
St Louis MO (Jefferson County)
I think this is a cochin...It was in the 'bantam assorted bucket' but it's bigger than my bantams so I'm thinking standard sized.

What color would you call 'her' ?

I'm thinking a 'she' and she has pretty almost silver feathers, with some of the feathers having a faint barring on them on her back of a slightly darker shade of gray/silver

She is so sweet and tamest of all my hatchery chicks! She's about 6 weeks old I think.

Please excuse the droppings in the picture.

6152_img_0520.jpg
6152_img_0519.jpg
6152_img_0517.jpg

I would say she is a HE and I dont know what color.....none of my cochins have black legs...or even dark legs, but I only have 3 pure cochins and they are all buff, with yellow legs...and all my babys are from a buff cochin roo ...so they all have white or yellow legs....(I know nothing about genetics but still havent hatched any with black or dark legs)

Are you sure cochin?

He is very pretty!!

Last edited:
Booted bantam is a specific breed, and it's a pretty small breed (it's like a d'uccle without the muffs & beard), so if this was one of the largest birds, then either it is older or it's something else.

Is it just the legs and feet that are dark, or is all the skin dark? If all the skin is dark, then it is either a silkieX or not a bantam.

The legs look short, but that may be the photo angles. Splash or lavender are definite plumage possibilities. It could also feather in white.

Quote:
I agree.......
booted bantam is also known as a sablepoot....

I was also thinking splash or lavender.

If it was just from a farmstand I would say it is a cochin silkie cross, not all of them get the extra toe.....
But not many breeds have skin that dark
hu.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom