1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color would you get....?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by featherfooted, Jan 27, 2009.

1. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    What happens to the color if you breed Porcelain to Mille Fleur? Do you get a few of each, all of one color or a totally different color? I have 2 porcelain dutch hens and I haven't been able to find a roo for them, so I was wondering if I could use a mille Fleur and still get the porcelain color.

2. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Porcelain is exactly the same bird as Mille, except with the addition of lavender.

Lavender is recessive so a cross will give you 100% Milles. No porcelains.

Unless, the mille happens to be carrying lavender hidden(unlikely but possible), then you will get half porcelains and half milles.

For example, if you made the cross, and all birds look normal Milles, but they will be carrying the hidden lavender from their Porcelain parent. Breeding those with a porcelain will give you half porcelains and half milles.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You can also take your porcelain hens and breed each to a different mille fleur rooster. Mark the F1 babies in some way to tell which came from which set of parents. Then pair the F1 offspring from each group with one from the other group. All the F1 offspring will carry lavender, so from those pairings your F2 offspring should be 25% porcelain, 25% mille fleur and 50% mille fleur split to lavender.

4. featherfooted

featherfooted Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I'm still hoping I can find a porcelain Roo, but at least I now have an option.

5. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    this is that cross in d'uccles to show u of birds i had last summer before i sold them. yes all babies were millie, instead of porc. we had more spotting. mom's were millie and rooster was porc.
    hope this helps,
    silkie

this is their babies. roo back and front pullet
    [​IMG]

this is the father
    [​IMG]

this is one of the mom's
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by