1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What color

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by hairco, Oct 14, 2014.

1. hairco

hairco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2013
    I hope u can tell more about this peacocks color.He was bought as a white but i see some color so do anyone know what breed he is?Thanks[​IMG]

2. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Silver pied?

3. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    From what I have seen, since this guy doesn't seem to be white, it is likely "he" is actually a "she"!
    I think? [​IMG]

4. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I really think it is just a white peacock with some dirty feathers. They get dirty looking from dust bathing, rain, etc. Other peafowl varieties just don't show dirt like white peafowl do.
    Here is one of my white peahens all dirty and wet after a rain.
    [​IMG]

5. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    No it is a male. I see the train feathers coming in.

6. hairco

Jan 7, 2013
    I sure hope it is a male.

7. hairco

Jan 7, 2013
    here is another picture of him and i don't think he is dirty so i hope he a silver[​IMG]

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I agree again, just a stained white male, i have lots of stained whites this time of year after he finishes his molt he will be a pretty white again and if not well i guess i am wrong, it happens [​IMG] especial when dealing with photos
    [​IMG]
    Brown stains from the sand pile
    [​IMG]
    Notice the crown feathers are the same color as the stain on his back.
    [​IMG]

This fella is a green eyed peacock fresh from the mulch pile

[​IMG]
    This is how it happens here sometimes ,this girl is damp from sitting a nest , she would come in the morning and dust bath just enough to get dirty and her feathers got more and more stained till she looked gray
    [​IMG]
    This is her after she hatched her chicks, she is wet but you can see what looks like silver but is in fact stains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hairco

Jan 7, 2013
    Oh i see what u mean now.It looks like mine so maybe i do have a white.That is what i got he as.so i hope.Thanks so much

10. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    He is a beauty, Breed him with your pieds and if they are caring the white eyed gene i believe you can get silver from them

I found a minimal white silver pied photo to show you how the silvers i have seen look
    See how vivid the colors are on this silver pied even though it is just a little color? this is why i think your bird is just stained, if it were silver the scales would be richer in color in that area, a hen might be a different story as they are not as brightly colored to begin with like a peacock.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by