What Colors Overpower Black?

ChloeSilkie08

Crowing
Sep 10, 2020
Arkansas
I have a Black Copper Maran Roo and I would like to hatch some different colored chicks besides black and blue. Is there any colors that could give me non black or blue chicks? Thanks so much!

There's colors and combos that can overcome black, it all depends on what exactly you're trying to do! Are you trying to get away from ANY black? Like blue based birds, chocolate, etc? Or just from the classic 'black cooper' maran? Do you have any non-marans ladies currently you could use or are you planning on a feedstore trip come spring? : D

There's colors and combos that can overcome black, it all depends on what exactly you're trying to do! Are you trying to get away from ANY black? Like blue based birds, chocolate, etc? Or just from the classic 'black cooper' maran? Do you have any non-marans ladies currently you could use or are you planning on a feedstore trip come spring? : D
I have over 17 different chickens. I'm trying to not have black chicks and preferably not blue.

I have over 17 different chickens. I'm trying to not have black chicks and preferably not blue.

almost nothing is going to provide you with anything other than black when grown... a dominant white hen such as a white leghorn would... a barred or cuckoo whole give you barred males but black hens

But If you’re talking just chicks, there could be something that might give you a patterned chick.... I’m not up on chick down color inheritance

almost nothing is going to provide you with anything other than black when grown... a dominant white hen such as a white leghorn would... a barred or cuckoo whole give you barred males but black hens

But If you’re talking just chicks, there could be something that might give you a patterned chick.... I’m not up on chick down color inheritance
Thank you!

I hatched eggs from my BCM roo and a Polish X Ameraucana hen. She was white with leakage. I'm guessing her sire was a dominant white Polish rooster.

I only hatched two eggs from this combo. One roo, one pullet. They both looked identical to their mixed breed mother. Off white with color leakage. I'll find some pics in a bit.

Here's the pic. First pic is the parents. Second pic is them as chicks. Third and fourth are as teenages in various stages of grow out. Between base colors and patterns I'm at a loss for most anything related to chickens. I just wanted to share my firsthand experience that you can absolutely get a color other that black or blue from a BCM rooster.

IMG_20190403_165541468.jpg IMG_20190626_102028159.jpg IMG_20190905_084044066.jpg IMG_20191109_103813010.jpg

Back
Top Bottom