What Colour Araucanas Would I Get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FoxhallFarm, Jul 6, 2010.

1. FoxhallFarm

FoxhallFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2009
    Cork, Ireland
    Hi there, can anyone tell me please, if I run a partridge cockeral with a black hen or a lavender hen what colours might the chicks be? thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Not sure of the colors you would get but would love to see a pic of your partridge roo. I know on the araucana club website someone was interrested in getting a partridge araucana project going.

Lanae

3. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Well Lavender is recessive, so the percentage of visually Lavender chicks would probably be very low.

4. blackclownfish16

blackclownfish16 Chillin' With My Peeps

There would be no lavender chicks in the f1 unless the partridge was carrying lavender. Lavender partridge is beautiful btw!

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I would really love to see a pic. I have been told that there are so many modifiers needed to get partridge in araucana.

I would think you would get bbrs, and brown reds, maybe a black. I only say that because I read somewhere that to get the partridge color you would need to have black and bbr in the breeding but not sure at what point.

This is only a guess based on what I have read. I would go for it and see what you get. Let us know.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by