What colour are these mutts?

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
I have got some young cockerels and pullets that I would like to know what colour to call them. They are all mixed breeds.
Any help appreciated, and sorry if the photos aren't loaded correctly.

1 is a cockerel, his father is George, a Cuckoo Orp x Light Sussex, and mother is a SS.
P1130501.JPG

2 is a pullet, same mum and dad as above.
P1130504.JPG

3 Pullet, George x RIR
P1140555.JPG

They do not have a specific coloring name, as they are mixes and therefore do not fall under a specific color category. They would simply just be mixed colors. They are very cool looking chickens, though.

They do not have a specific coloring name, as they are mixes and therefore do not fall under a specific color category. They would simply just be mixed colors. They are very cool looking chickens, though.
I see, so its not like horses or goats or cats, where colour is separate from breed?
I presumed that it would be like a mutt cat, you can still say its a tortoiseshell.

I see, so its not like horses or goats or cats, where colour is separate from breed?
I presumed that it would be like a mutt cat, you can still say its a tortoiseshell.
These won't have pretty names at all. They're very mixed in varieties. Are we sure the second pullet is from the mix listed? She has slate legs. I assume neither parent had those given the breed. Do you by any chance know if your Speckled Sussex had a near yellow chick down or were marked like chipmunks? Speckled Sussex overseas often have very different genetics than in the US :)

These won't have pretty names at all. They're very mixed in varieties. Are we sure the second pullet is from the mix listed? She has slate legs. I assume neither parent had those given the breed.
Ok, I've got the idea! There goes my hopes of being able to say look at this fine ' insert colour' pullet!
And yes, I am sure that that pullet is from that mix. I think the slate legs come from the cuckoo Orpington, as quite a few of his chicks have them. Including a white one, which looks rather odd!
Do you by any chance know if your Speckled Sussex had a near yellow chick down or were marked like chipmunks? Speckled Sussex overseas often have very different genetics than in the US :)
I can't remember, although I do remember thinking she didn't really look like most of the photos ones sees on byc, so maybe more yellow?

Ok, I've got the idea! There goes my hopes of being able to say look at this fine ' insert colour' pullet!
And yes, I am sure that that pullet is from that mix. I think the slate legs come from the cuckoo Orpington, as quite a few of his chicks have them. Including a white one, which looks rather odd!

I can't remember, although I do remember thinking she didn't really look like most of the photos ones sees on byc, so maybe more yellow?
You could always say "look at this nice brown chicken", the last one I might say buff or tan.

Back
Top Bottom