What colours from these call duck matings

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
Hello!

I have 7 ducks, 4 call x mallard and 3 pure call.

In the spring I am going to separate the pure calls and hopefully have some ducklings.

My drake is a black bibbed and the two hens are blue fawn and chocolate magpie ( from black magpie parents)

What colours could I expect from these pairings?

A pic of my georgous little boy for good measure!

Unless your ducks are pure to color (which it sounds like they are not) you are going to get a variety of colors from them.

You likely won't get any chocolate unless your drake is a carrier. As black will be dominant over the chocolate so you need a chocolate gene in the drake to get chocolate offspring.

So the black drake with the chocolate hen should give you all black offspring, males from this mating will be chocolate carriers (so can produce chocolate if bred back to a chocolate hen).

The black drake with the blue fawn will likely give you blacks and blues. Bibbed or some white is likely to occur as well. But if they are not pure to color, you may also get some whites and greys as those are quite common

Hi Leary,

Thanks for replying,

The drake was bred from a penny black, black bibbed pen.
The blue fawn was bred from a mallard, blue fawn, yellow belly pen.
The chocolate magpie was bred from a black magpie and pied pen.

Would the chocolate magpie not breed any magpies?

Hope I get a blue bibbed!

Hi Leary,

Thanks for replying,

The drake was bred from a penny black, black bibbed pen.
The blue fawn was bred from a mallard, blue fawn, yellow belly pen.
The chocolate magpie was bred from a black magpie and pied pen.

Would the chocolate magpie not breed any magpies?

Hope I get a blue bibbed!
The "pied" gene is a funky one and does tend to be dominant from what I've bred. So you will likely get a variety of offspring with pied or heavily bibbed markings.

Do you have any pics of her?

Here she is:
[

She's not the best quality but my drake is quite nice IMO so hopefully the ducklings will be alright.
My blue fawn is nicer, here she is

She is playing with the hose, you can also see her in the pond in the other pic, sorry about the bad quality...

Thanks

Last edited:
Jealous! I've been trying to get my hands on a chocolate ancona patterned call! I have some nice magpie chocolate hens but don't have a drake so haven't been able to get any chocolate offspring yet. But I'm hoping I will in the spring by using a black, chocolate carrier drake over them!

Jealous! I've been trying to get my hands on a chocolate ancona patterned call! I have some nice magpie chocolate hens but don't have a drake so haven't been able to get any chocolate offspring yet. But I'm hoping I will in the spring by using a black, chocolate carrier drake over them!

haha! not quite sure how she came about as all parents are black magpie, both the drake and the hen must have been chocolate carriers....
what is the difference between magpie and ancona?

thanks

haha! not quite sure how she came about as all parents are black magpie, both the drake and the hen must have been chocolate carriers....
what is the difference between magpie and ancona?

thanks
Magpie is a very distinct set of markings. Colored cap and back.
Ancona is like the ancona duck, asymmetrical and more spotty/ speckled.

Some say that ancona patterned calls are simply mismarked magpies but I disagree as you can breed them true to type.

Here are some examples:

Pied ducklings (too much black in the white spots to be magpie)

Top is blue pied, bottom is black ancona

]
Blue in back is magpie, black in front is ancona

Blue in back is mismarked magpie (cap isn't fully colored) and the rest are ancona

chocolate pied

blue magpie but poorly marked as the cap isn't full and she has excess color under the wings.

I use these "mismarked" birds to help give me better type and marked ancona calls. That's what I am breeding towards is that pattern in black, blue and chocolate

Magpie is a very distinct set of markings. Colored cap and back.
Ancona is like the ancona duck, asymmetrical and more spotty/ speckled.

Some say that ancona patterned calls are simply mismarked magpies but I disagree as you can breed them true to type.

Here are some examples:

Pied ducklings (too much black in the white spots to be magpie)

Top is blue pied, bottom is black ancona

]
Blue in back is magpie, black in front is ancona

Blue in back is mismarked magpie (cap isn't fully colored) and the rest are ancona

chocolate pied

blue magpie but poorly marked as the cap isn't full and she has excess color under the wings.

I use these "mismarked" birds to help give me better type and marked ancona calls. That's what I am breeding towards is that pattern in black, blue and chocolate

ohhhhh right....
i much prefer the ancona then! it is strange because as a duckling she was very well marked, perfect cap and a strip of colour going down the back,
you have beautiful birds i love the blue pied,

thanks

Back
Top Bottom