What coop to buy?

Minhhy

Hatching
May 30, 2017
Hello, my family and I have purchased 8-10 pullets. We are looking to purchase a premade coop, as we don't think we can build one ourselves. We have looked online and feel that many models are deceiving. Many times, they might say that they can fit 10 hens when they can only, in reality, fit 4 (I used the 3 to 4 square feet per chicken rule to determine if the living space was enough for the chickens).

Can anyone recommend a coop for us to buy that could accommodate 8-10 hens? As a side note, we are fine with building the run and are more worried about getting living space for the hens. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BYC!

I'm going to be honest here.
You need to build your own coop.
Those Pre-Fab kits are WORTHLESS.
Search on the chicken coops articles.A chicken coop is easier to build then you think ;)

A pre-fab coop will cost $500 and OVER.Where you can make a homemade coop for as little as $150!Zthats cheaper then owning aGuineaPig!

Any specific blueprints then? We don't have the knowledge to go freestyle with building this coop.

I agree, a prefab is a waste of money. You can search coops on here and a lot of folks have posted step by step instructions with pics. or do a Google search. If you have some basic tools you should be able to make something far superior to what you can buy. Also a prefab actually big enough to house 8-10 hens would cost a fortune.

Another and arguably easier route would be to convert a storage shed. I bet a used one is for sale on your local craigslist right now. Add roosts, nesting boxes a chicken door and extra ventilation.

I made a couple of coops out of 8 x 10 used metal storage sheds that I got off of Craigslist; one for $75, the other was free. I made each base out of five 4 x 4s bolted together. You have to add vent holes, a roost and nesting boxes, but that's about it. I made a a nesting box base out of 2 x 4s and put plastic vegetable crates on top for nests. I did add sand for the floor. They work pretty well. I just leave the slide doors open during the day when it's hot.

Back
Top Bottom