What could be causing these geese to be so spooked?

Jun 29, 2018
I’ve been feeding a bunch of Canada geese families at two different lakes for a long time now and all of a sudden lately the littlest things have been getting them spooked to the point where they all just fly away into the lake. This lady with a scarf over her head, got out of her car and they all just jumped and flew away back into the lake. What could be causing these geese to get so spooked like this all of a sudden?when they would never get so spooked like this over little things before.

Geese have excellent memories and if someone tried to catch hurt or harass any of them they will remember, and believe me someone getting out of a car with a scarf on will draw attention and scare them. I have to be sure to wear the same hats and shoes around mine and talk to them if I am so they know it's me.

Geese have excellent memories and if someone tried to catch hurt or harass any of them they will remember, and believe me someone getting out of a car with a scarf on will draw attention and scare them. I have to be sure to wear the same hats and shoes around mine and talk to them if I am so they know it's me.

Yea that’s crazy, so if u wear something different they won’t recognize u? All the geese I go to and feed they all remember me and get super excited even when I get out of the car without putting any food down yet. It’s just that they seem to get more spooked then usual lately I didn’t know if that means something or not.

If you spend time on the goose thread ready others talking about their geese you'll see geese do recognize their owners but they also recognize anything different, next time you go to the lake wear a hat and don't speak to them or let them see you have food. See if they recognize you. Start walking towards them.

maybe time of year also predators are out looking for food since when it gets cold their usual pry can be in hiding for the winter. Geese are high up on the predators menu.

If you spend time on the goose thread ready others talking about their geese you'll see geese do recognize their owners but they also recognize anything different, next time you go to the lake wear a hat and don't speak to them or let them see you have food. See if they recognize you. Start walking towards them.

maybe time of year also predators are out looking for food since when it gets cold their usual pry can be in hiding for the winter. Geese are high up on the predators menu.

That’s a good idea! I didn’t know they can tell if something is different, that’s very interesting. And wow I never thought of that about the predators maybe that could be why they have been getting spooked over every little thing? Even if I shake my jacket out on the other side of the car they still got spooked and flew right into the water. Also, if a different person or persons walks by they even get spooked over that. What kind of predators that they have would be around this time of year?

Lets see where are you? We have coyote, fox, bob cat, raccoon, weasel, mink, Dogs, Then you have large owls, Red tail hawks, Eagles. Bears in some parts we have them. Etc.

Lets see where are you? We have coyote, fox, bob cat, raccoon, weasel, mink, Dogs, Then you have large owls, Red tail hawks, Eagles. Bears in some parts we have them. Etc.

I’m in south jersey, Berlin NJ. I know there’s some foxes around here but I only seen them around in the summer, not sure if they still are.. do they go some where for the winter? I used to hear them every night in the beginning of the summer. I know there’s red tail hawks around here but I didn’t know they would go after a goose. I’m not sure if coyotes or bears are around here either. There’s always people walking their dogs but it seems like the dogs never pay any attention to the geese, the geese are just terrified of them for some reason.

The reason geese are terrified of dogs is because are at the top of the predator list. Coyote are everywhere rven in NY city. Falcons will take down a goose in flight saw that on you tube so I’d think a goose that’s maybe sick a red tail would attack an Eagle also. We had a member who’s goose was attacked and killed by a mink they have very sharp teeth and go for the head and neck I believe. We don’t see very many predators except on our game camera they are sneaky. Have to be to survive.

Back
Top Bottom