What could be causing these respiratory problems

Jan 1, 2020
Eastern North Carolina, USA
Here’s a link to the other thread for background history
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/so-confused-another-chicken-with-raspy-breathing.1484987/

I’m still dealing with respiratory issues and still have no clue what’s causing it. Here’s the video from the other thread of the current symptoms. His symptoms definitely aren’t severe compared to the other videos I’ve posted but still doesn’t seem to be normal

At first I thought I was dealing with MG or IB but now I really don’t think it’s MG, none of the birds that have been sick have had any relapse in symptoms, it’s always a different bird that gets sick. The symptoms I’m dealing with now are head shaking, coughing and grunting when breathing, no nasal discharge or eye discharge and they act perfectly healthy otherwise. Right now it’s just the rooster in the video with the most prominent symptoms that are constant and has lasted for 2 months so far, as I’ve said in the other thread I’ve treated him with safeguard dewormer in case of it being gapeworm, a broad spectrum antibiotic and Denagard which is used in treating symptoms of MG, none of the treatments have had any affect on the symptoms. The others having these symptoms are 3 others also cockerels oddly enough. Their symptoms are very minor as of now. Does anyone know what else to do at this point or have more ideas on what could be causing this?

Last edited:
I think you have covered all of it.
It's odd that only the cockerels have symptoms. Clearly, antibiotics don't seem to be helping, so likely not a bacterial infection.

Any lesions, mucous, canker, yellow/white pasty material inside the beaks? Any lice/mites or pus/debris inside the ears?

Crops emptying completely overnight?

Are you feeding the cockerels anything different than the others?

Sometimes it's good to do a thorough check in the pen for mold he's in.

Example: when I had my run, it had sand in it and of course chickens being chickens they knocked the food in the sand. I remember having some light rain that got the sand wet, didn't think too much of it. About month later my chickens started having respiratory issues. Come to find out I had a layer of mold growing under the sand. The spores were being released by them scratching the sand. I ended up removing the entire layer of mold. Then moved the chickens to a dirt only area. The respiratory issue stopped.

Any lesions, mucous, canker, yellow/white pasty material inside the beaks? Any lice/mites or pus/debris inside the ears?
No mucus or lesions that I can see, I’ve looked in their beaks very well because they mostly act like something is almost blocking their airway.
Crops emptying completely overnight?
When he first started these symptoms I checked his crop and it was empty in the mornings but I will check that again tomorrow just in case.
Are you feeding the cockerels anything different than the others?
No, they are all on the same layer pellets from my local feed mill and they all have access to grit.

All the birds that are sick are in completely different pens, unless the food I’m feeding has mold in it and I can’t tell I don’t think it’s the pens, they stay pretty dry.
There's a thing called dry rot, it doesn't necessarily need to be wet to have some form of mold.

No mucus or lesions that I can see, I’ve looked in their beaks very well because they mostly act like something is almost blocking their airway.

When he first started these symptoms I checked his crop and it was empty in the mornings but I will check that again tomorrow just in case.

No, they are all on the same layer pellets from my local feed mill and they all have access to grit.
Do not feed males layer feed. It's harmful on their kidneys, & kill them over time.

Back
Top Bottom