What could be getting in and stealing eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silkielover88, Jun 21, 2016.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    I think I have a critter of some sort stealing eggs! I was getting half dozen every day. Now maybe just one egg. I noticed the other day my rooster had some feathers missing and there was a trail of them out the coop. Today my tom turkey had the same thing! Almost all feathers on his back are in a pile on the floor and no eggs from my hen turkey in a few days! No missing or dead birds yet. Any clue to what it could be? Or anything to help the mystery would be great!

2. chickslaugh

chickslaugh New Egg

Apr 9, 2016
    Hello silkielover, I was actually just reading about something like this the other day. When eggs go missing, depending on where you live, the culprits can vary. During the day it is usally a rat or snake, but I most likely would not suspect that they are plucking the feathers from your rooster and your Tom Turkey. In the night, it has greater chances to be a fox, opossum, skunk, or a weasel. Now these I would suspect would be the theives. I sincerely hope you can find where the thief is getting in, and get rid of the creature. I hope you have a good day, and I hope that I could have helped in some way.

3. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Thank you. It's happening during the day though. I do morning chores and all is well, it's when I come back during the evening that I noticed the plucked feathers....I'm thinking possible weasel. No signs of anything bigger able to get in.

4. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    I put a few fake eggs in last night. Nothing missing today. We just set a trap. Seems like every other day it stops in

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by