What could be getting in and stealing eggs?

silkielover88

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Addison NY
I think I have a critter of some sort stealing eggs! I was getting half dozen every day. Now maybe just one egg. I noticed the other day my rooster had some feathers missing and there was a trail of them out the coop. Today my tom turkey had the same thing! Almost all feathers on his back are in a pile on the floor and no eggs from my hen turkey in a few days! No missing or dead birds yet. Any clue to what it could be? Or anything to help the mystery would be great!

Hello silkielover, I was actually just reading about something like this the other day. When eggs go missing, depending on where you live, the culprits can vary. During the day it is usally a rat or snake, but I most likely would not suspect that they are plucking the feathers from your rooster and your Tom Turkey. In the night, it has greater chances to be a fox, opossum, skunk, or a weasel. Now these I would suspect would be the theives. I sincerely hope you can find where the thief is getting in, and get rid of the creature. I hope you have a good day, and I hope that I could have helped in some way.

Thank you. It's happening during the day though. I do morning chores and all is well, it's when I come back during the evening that I noticed the plucked feathers....I'm thinking possible weasel. No signs of anything bigger able to get in.

Back
Top Bottom