What Could Be Her Problem? Symptoms listed

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
Somethings wrong with my Gold laced Wyandotte. She is about 2.5 years old.
Symptoms are
1. Pale pink comb.
2. Not eating much, major weight loss
3. Lethargic
4. Stinky poop

No egg impaction that I can feel.
Nothing strange with vent.
No bugs.
No snotty nose or runny eyes.
Clear eyes and shiny feathers.
Not molting and not laying eggs either.

Crop is hard. Could it be an impacted crop? If so, what can I do? I tried massaging it and tried to get her to eat more grit. She will eat a few sunflower seeds and she ate a worm today, but not interested in canned corn or scrambled eggs, their favorites....

She has been quaranteened in the shed in a large dog crate, just in case something is "catching" but I really don't think its a sicknes.

Any help would be great.

Does the crop feel like a ball of stiff silly putty? Can it be broken up manually with massage? Will the addition of oil to her diet change the consistency of the mass? Is the bird losing weight/failing? Does the crop fill during the day and shrink down overnight? Does the silly putty mass remain despite massage and oil?

If the oil and massage trick doesn't work you are going to need to take more drastic action. Try that and let us know what pans out.

I haven't tried to give her oil... will canola oil work? How do I get her to take the oil without "drowning" her?

The crop doesn't ever go down. It has been firm throughout massaging it. And I KNOW she isn't eating, as she is quaranteened in a dog crate.

You may end up performing crop surgery on her. Fortunately, the surgery isn't difficult.

Olive oil is better than canola oil.

Stop feeding her for a couple days, but provide water.
You can put a little olive oil down her throat with a small syringe.
You must massage the heck out of that crop........many times a day. Squeeze it, and break it up externally, with the massaging.

P.S........In my experience, corn is really hard to digest. I totally quit giving my chickens scratch because it seemed to cause alot of crop impactions. I do give them black oil sunflower seed and they seem to handle that fine. But as long as your hen isn't making any progress, don't give her anything at all. You could add some vitamins and electrolytes to her water in the meantime.

I haven't tried to give her oil... will canola oil work? How do I get her to take the oil without "drowning" her?
The crop doesn't ever go down. It has been firm throughout massaging it. And I KNOW she isn't eating, as she is quaranteened in a dog crate.

Here is a link that shows how to give medicine orally. I use a 1cc syringe, nothing bigger. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

Here is a link that shows how to give medicine orally. I use a 1cc syringe, nothing bigger. http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

That's a great pic of the inside of a bird's mouth. Thanks for sharing that. I bookmarked it to use in the future.

I prefer to use a short feeding tube rather than a long-nosed syringe. Birds fight having their mouths opened, so to prevent the bird from wriggling free and ending up with a lung full of oil in the middle of administration, I use the tube. I am often working by myself or with my 7 y.o. daughter so this ensures less risk to the bird should it try to break free.

That's a great pic of the inside of a bird's mouth.  Thanks for sharing that.  I bookmarked it to use in the future.

I prefer to use a short feeding tube rather than a long-nosed syringe.  Birds fight having their mouths opened, so to prevent the bird from wriggling free and ending up with a lung full of oil in the middle of administration, I use the tube.  I am often working by myself or with my 7 y.o. daughter so this ensures less risk to the bird should it try to break free.

I also use a feeding tube, but only when I'm giving more than 1cc of food or medicine. Like you, I'm worried that they might aspirate, so with the 1cc syringe, I actually insert on the left side, then diagonally down the right to their esophagus. If I've done it correctly, I can see and or feel the bulge on the right hand side. I hold the bird steady and wait for it to relax, then I give medication, slowly. And I always use a 1cc syringe since it fits down the esophagus of most birds.

my advise is try add aloe vera juice in her water and bee honey ,aloe vera is a very good hurb it cures even human being.

Back
Top Bottom