What could be wrong?

Abetheroo

Chirping
Aug 29, 2020
My hen looks like she could be molting. She looks pretty rough. But she also is acting much more different. She hangs back away from the rest of the flock, she has always been the most social and loving of them but now won't let us near her.
Also I have been getting 1 egg almost daily with purple spots on them. I'm pretty sure they are from her. I can usually recognize who's egg is who's but there are a couple that I can't tell. Hers and another one. Any insight would be welcomed.

Sounds like the annual molt. Timing is right for it. I'm in NC and my birds are molting. Sometimes I have a bird that just feels so bad and doesn't handle their molt as well. In those cases, I finely chop and boiled egg and offer that to the molter (if she's alone to eat she will probably do better). They don't like to be handled because new pins growing in is painful.

Sorry, internet troubles....
I like to offer them a chopped egg, away from the flock. You might need to feed her once or twice a day to make sure she's eating enough. It takes a lot out of them to grow those new feathers. Some handle it better than others. I have one hen that doesn't want to be near her flock while she molts. I imagine anytime they bump into her or brush by her, it's painful (she's molting very hard and is at the bottom of the pecking order). My hen only wants to be carried if I let her perch on my arm and don't touch her. She appreciates the extra alone time and food that she doesn't have to share.

Back
Top Bottom