What could I do to keep chickens off of my back patio?

Oh, well, that fence is way too short,
they can jump that high so clipping wings won't help much.
I sure don't see a feasible way to add a roof to it,
what with the concrete wall(hard to attach) and the trees.
Maybe a whole new fence, 14ga 2x4 welded wire 6' high with Tposts.

How many birds do you have?

and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-24_6-53-0.png

Oh, well, that fence is way too short,
they can jump that high so clipping wings won't help much.
I sure don't see a feasible way to add a roof to it,
what with the concrete wall(hard to attach) and the trees.
Maybe a whole new fence, 14ga 2x4 welded wire 6' high with Tposts.

How many birds do you have?

and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1887216

I'd install small wooden stakes against the concrete wall that it can be folded over.. and cut it to wrap around the trees.

Since it's such a low fence and narrow space, you could try putting very lightweight bird netting over it by using garden stakes (drape the netting over the stakes using the holes) which should discourage the birds from flying out. To access birds or to clean up simply lift off netting where you need to go, then put it back down on stakes after. Not totally secure but cheap and non permanent.

But do you have access to your run?
I guess access isn't needed in general, until it is(down bird, egg laid there).
I figure most need access to tend to bedding.
Yep, it was connected to either side of the coop, so I could go out the back door or open a side panel if needed (not common.) The bedding took care of itself, being that the run was large and leaves were plentiful. I didn't have a roof, but I did have a lot of shoulder high warning tape strung across the top to deter hawks.
I agree that it's nice to be able to get in there, though; that's just why I didn't think of it.

The chickens have been quite beneficial for the grass at our place. I haven't even put down a single grass seed. When we bought it, the entire backyard was pea gravel paths, and pea gravel around all the outbuildings and house. I raked up a lot of it, and put straw down in the winter for the chickens to scratch into the ground. I wish I had before pics, but I lost my first year of pics after moving here. Around the well pump, where the dogs are pictured, was nothing but a big pile of gravel before. Everything is quite green, now. I will put straw down in any bare areas again this winter. It looks to me like you live in the southwest, and growing grass is difficult at best.

20190824_111929.jpg
20190824_111940.jpg
20190824_111933.jpg
20190824_111937.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom