What Could It Be????

chickbrad24

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Good Evening Everyone,

On Saturday I woke up and forgot to close my coop the night before. Went out to find feathers everywhere and 3 chickens outside the coop mostly eaten. The pole for the run had been bent over as well. That nigt I fortified the run and realized that over 20 chickens had gone missing as well. The next day the chicken wire for the run door was bent and something had come back to try and get in. This morning my brooding coop where I keep mothers had been flipped over 6 chicks where missing and had another 4 grow out pullets go missing. I am thinking it could be a bear. My husband thinks it may be a pack of coyotes. Out of my 8 years of keeping chickens I have never had this amount of chickens go missing or have been eaten. Anyone have any thoughts on what predator it could be?

Attachments

• Resized_20211005_082410.jpeg
    Resized_20211005_082410.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 18
So sorry for your losses :hugs❤️
I had something similar happen to me earlier this year.

I don't think your situation involved a bear, although that may be possible.
Some animals kill for sport, and don't actually eat all their prey. Not sure what animal could have done this to your flock, but again, I am so sorry this happened.

Try to make the coop as secure as possible. Good luck :)

I am so sorry. I hope you find your missing birds.

Something happened to us yesterday too. I woke up and all hens, chicks and roos were at the end of the run. One hen I couldn't find in the coop. I finally found her with neck and head gone. No blood at all and clean rip or cut off . In the nine years here this never happened. We have only squirrels. This squirrel was not running from me like they do. Squirrel was having a chicken dinner. We don't have any of the normal predators here. Mostly rabbits and squirrels at our place in rural. We have not seen any coons, possums, etc here in nine years. Not sure what did this but, for safety I closed everyone in the coop last night. We normally just leave our hatch open during the night since we are up very late in the wee hours of the morning hours. He said to leave it open tonight so it's open. I still haven't found the body part.

So sorry for your loss. Personally I would put up a camera. I have several up around on my property and see a predator on at least one of the cameras most nights when they roam here, and then you will know for sure what is lurking and can form a plan of how to deal with it. It will be back. Good luck...

Thank you everyone,

My luck has run out. Out of 35 - 40 birds I am down to 8 now. Whatever it is was back last night and tore the plywood right off the framing of the coop. More hens are gone and one pullet was in the coop partially eaten. I am definitely thinking it's a very hungry bear. There is no way a fox or coyotes could do that.

Thank you everyone,

My luck has run out. Out of 35 - 40 birds I am down to 8 now. Whatever it is was back last night and tore the plywood right off the framing of the coop. More hens are gone and one pullet was in the coop partially eaten. I am definitely thinking it's a very hungry bear. There is no way a fox or coyotes could do that.
I'm so sorry. I feel so bad.
I'm not sure what I can tell you.
have you seen anything pop up on the camera footage?

Don't believe fox or coyotes or any other small animal like that could flip that coop over. Believe it could be a bear also but it should have left some signs tracks claw marks something. Cant believe he ate all those birds either some should have been able to escape. Any luck with pics from your cam you have my interest in what you find. But could be a pack of coyotes but not sure how they tipped that coop over unless its very light and not very secure to ground.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom