What Could It Be????

chickbrad24

Songster
7 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
Good Evening Everyone,

On Saturday I woke up and forgot to close my coop the night before. Went out to find feathers everywhere and 3 chickens outside the coop mostly eaten. The pole for the run had been bent over as well. That nigt I fortified the run and realized that over 20 chickens had gone missing as well. The next day the chicken wire for the run door was bent and something had come back to try and get in. This morning my brooding coop where I keep mothers had been flipped over 6 chicks where missing and had another 4 grow out pullets go missing. I am thinking it could be a bear. My husband thinks it may be a pack of coyotes. Out of my 8 years of keeping chickens I have never had this amount of chickens go missing or have been eaten. Anyone have any thoughts on what predator it could be?

Attachments

• Resized_20211005_082410.jpeg
    Resized_20211005_082410.jpeg
    899 KB · Views: 18
Thank you everyone,

My luck has run out. Out of 35 - 40 birds I am down to 8 now. Whatever it is was back last night and tore the plywood right off the framing of the coop. More hens are gone and one pullet was in the coop partially eaten. I am definitely thinking it's a very hungry bear. There is no way a fox or coyotes could do that.

So sorry for your loss. Personally I would put up a camera. I have several up around on my property and see a predator on at least one of the cameras most nights when they roam here, and then you will know for sure what is lurking and can form a plan of how to deal with it. It will be back. Good luck...

Don't believe fox or coyotes or any other small animal like that could flip that coop over. Believe it could be a bear also but it should have left some signs tracks claw marks something. Cant believe he ate all those birds either some should have been able to escape. Any luck with pics from your cam you have my interest in what you find. But could be a pack of coyotes but not sure how they tipped that coop over unless its very light and not very secure to ground.

Last edited:
Here is the spot the bear has accessed the coop. Tore the plywood right off the frame. It looks like it came again last night. It has avoided all cameras. It's not going after the geese and the muscovies, just the chickens. I'm down to 8 chickens. My plan is to have my brother take the rest and watch them so I can fortify the coop and invest in an electric fence.
I have never had this problem before, never thought a bear would relentlessly hunt and eat chickens on a nightly basis.

Attachments

• 20211008_151809_remastered.jpg
    20211008_151809_remastered.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 4
Finally got the confirmation that it is 100% a bear!! He or she left finger prints on my husbands work van last night. Has anyone else experienced a bear like this night after night?

Attachments

• Resized_20211009_144211.jpeg
    Resized_20211009_144211.jpeg
    600.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized_20211009_144214.jpeg
    Resized_20211009_144214.jpeg
    418.7 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom