What could it have been?!

Something I learned in Ohio where we boarded horses. The owners of the stables brooded hundreds of chicks every year. I would help the stable owner with catching predators.

One thing I learned is a fox or coyote will dart in steal a bird and dart out leaving a feather trail. 1 bird at a time.

They will keep coming back until you challenge them

Only 1 animal in my opinion will stay long enough to kill every single living bird. A young raccoon.

Of all the episodes they had with predators there was nothing like a young raccoon who goes on a murder spree. For whatever reason they killed every single bird in the barn for no reason. When I say no reason i mean they couldnt possibly eat everything they killed.

Some of the chicks would have bites taken from their necks or heads but most were just dead with no bite wounds.

If you lost that many birds in 1 or 2 nights its my opinion your dealing with young raccoons. Probably more than one.

Something I learned in Ohio where we boarded horses. The owners of the stables brooded hundreds of chicks every year. I would help the stable owner with catching predators.

One thing I learned is a fox or coyote will dart in steal a bird and dart out leaving a feather trail. 1 bird at a time.

They will keep coming back until you challenge them

Only 1 animal in my opinion will stay long enough to kill every single living bird. A young raccoon.

Of all the episodes they had with predators there was nothing like a young raccoon who goes on a murder spree. For whatever reason they killed every single bird in the barn for no reason. When I say no reason i mean they couldnt possibly eat everything they killed.

Some of the chicks would have bites taken from their necks or heads but most were just dead with no bite wounds.

If you lost that many birds in 1 or 2 nights its my opinion your dealing with young raccoons. Probably more than one.
Young raccoons don’t remove 65 birds. They’d be laying dead everywhere.

After re-reading the OP I see that your right. My mistake. I thought they had all the bodies but one. I see they only found 1.

The young raccoons we dealt with left bodies strewn everywhere.

Definitely not raccoons to carry off 30+ birds. That would be one interesting trail camera video to see whatever accomplished that.

After re-reading the OP I see that your right. My mistake. I thought they had all the bodies but one. I see they only found 1.

The young raccoons we dealt with left bodies strewn everywhere.

Definitely not raccoons to carry off 30+ birds. That would be one interesting trail camera video to see whatever accomplished that.
The only animals is Illinois that can remove that many birds like that is a canine. Whether it’s a pack of coyotes or a fox with young I don’t know. Cage traps aren’t going to get it done though.

Back
Top Bottom