What could it have been?!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wantmesomebirds2, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

Something I learned in Ohio where we boarded horses. The owners of the stables brooded hundreds of chicks every year. I would help the stable owner with catching predators.

One thing I learned is a fox or coyote will dart in steal a bird and dart out leaving a feather trail. 1 bird at a time.

They will keep coming back until you challenge them

Only 1 animal in my opinion will stay long enough to kill every single living bird. A young raccoon.

Of all the episodes they had with predators there was nothing like a young raccoon who goes on a murder spree. For whatever reason they killed every single bird in the barn for no reason. When I say no reason i mean they couldnt possibly eat everything they killed.

Some of the chicks would have bites taken from their necks or heads but most were just dead with no bite wounds.

If you lost that many birds in 1 or 2 nights its my opinion your dealing with young raccoons. Probably more than one.

2. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Crossing the Road

Jan 5, 2012
    Young raccoons don’t remove 65 birds. They’d be laying dead everywhere.

Peepsi and BarnhartChickens98 like this.
  3. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

After re-reading the OP I see that your right. My mistake. I thought they had all the bodies but one. I see they only found 1.

The young raccoons we dealt with left bodies strewn everywhere.

Definitely not raccoons to carry off 30+ birds. That would be one interesting trail camera video to see whatever accomplished that.

roosterhavoc likes this.
  4. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    The only animals is Illinois that can remove that many birds like that is a canine. Whether it’s a pack of coyotes or a fox with young I don’t know. Cage traps aren’t going to get it done though.

Sequel likes this.
  5. Joev1973

Joev1973 Songster

Im thinking coyotes and more than one? Thats a heck of a feat to make 30+ birds dissappear

6. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Free Ranging

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    Lol, I missed that the OP only found one body...but where did 65 come from... is like one of those fishing stories where the fish keeps getting bigger ;)

aart likes this.
  7. roosterhavoc

Jan 5, 2012
    30 chickens, 16 ducks, 20 guineas -1 found bird = 65 I can attach scratch paper to show my work if you like? ;)

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  8. So. One dead chicken and every other bird in the barn missing? I say human or a couple of them. Knock the birds off the rafters, put them in bags and take off. That’s my take.

tomfromsc, Peepsi and OhZark Biddies like this.
  9. OhZark Biddies

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    Dang I missed it the second time too... I forgot to carry the guineas ;)

aart, NCHydrangea, mdquilts and 3 others like this.
  10. OhZark Biddies

Apr 13, 2018
    Sittin on a rock
    My Coop
    Well, that’s not a bad guess either... there are a lot of knuckleheads out there theses days :idunno

Willowspirit likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: