What could of caused this

Bjd102

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2022
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me what could of caused this injury? I did separate her and clean her up. I wasnt able to get all the blood off of her. We are new to raising chickens. We have 15 hens and 2 roosters. They are almost 6 months old. Thank you

Attachments

• F8CBB9B9-836A-4BAB-9F7F-632A0AA242A9.jpeg
    F8CBB9B9-836A-4BAB-9F7F-632A0AA242A9.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 15
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me what could of caused this injury? I did separate her and clean her up. I wasnt able to get all the blood off of her. We are new to raising chickens. We have 15 hens and 2 roosters. They are almost 6 months old. Thank you
Welcome To BYC

How much space do you have for your flock. Square foot of coop and run?

Photos of your coop/run and the whole flock are welcome.

Photo of the other side of her face?

Hard to know what's happened with her, but to me it looks like she's been beaten up. My first reaction is 2 roosters.

When combs are injured they bleed like crazy..

Get some saline, vetericyn or banixx - something you can rinse her head and eyes with.
Flush well (the eye too). I'd use triple antibitoic ointment around the eye and on the face. Even if you can't get all that dried blood from her face/wattles, apply a bit of ointment on top of the dried material - this will help it be more pliable and it will fall/come off more easily in the next day or so.

If you have her separated, don't worry about the spatter on her feathers. It will dry up and you'll be able to rub most of it out with a cloth in a few days.

The comb will stop bleeding. Can't tell if that's a large blood clot hanging off the end or if it's a small piece of comb hanging? If it's comb hanging, then you may want to just go ahead and snip that little piece off. You can put a bit of ice on the comb to help stop the bleeding if need be. Some use cornstarch or flour, but with her other head injuries, I'm not a fan of that since cornstarch gets everywhere and I wouldn't want it on the facial wounds. Use pressure and ice. Combs usually heal o.k. without ointments.

Main thing is to bring her through shock. Offer sugar water, electrolytes or similar. Keep her hydrated and calm. Work on that hydration.
IF she's been kicked and beat up like I suspect, then she's going to be sore for several days. She's probably been kicked in the breast. Offer wet feed for her to eat, monitor that she's swallowing o.k. and drinking very well. See a pattern here - fluids.

Now, it may not have been the roosters. Unless someone saw it no one really knows. It would be interesting to see the breeds of hens you have as well.

Thank you so much for all of that helpful info. I was kinda thinking it was the roosters and plan on getting rid of one them. Here are a few pictures. They have a smaller completely enclosed run and then a large run that is not covered.

Attachments

• 85CA57B5-C359-4BE7-9DF7-FB20A24BAE6D.jpeg
    85CA57B5-C359-4BE7-9DF7-FB20A24BAE6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 420967DB-51ED-4180-B7FA-D0BF9D749F6D.jpeg
    420967DB-51ED-4180-B7FA-D0BF9D749F6D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 4698A31D-A934-4A67-8214-9809533C7F42.jpeg
    4698A31D-A934-4A67-8214-9809533C7F42.jpeg
  • 7C582CCC-76A2-41B0-9CEA-4A231D84E227.jpeg
    7C582CCC-76A2-41B0-9CEA-4A231D84E227.jpeg
  • BF61829B-9D22-4690-9DBF-53F74DCA4F4F.jpeg
    BF61829B-9D22-4690-9DBF-53F74DCA4F4F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 35EF3150-C448-461D-BB29-B0C601CC7D71.jpeg
    35EF3150-C448-461D-BB29-B0C601CC7D71.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2E07C155-2E62-4D27-B2AA-3AAEDD5BFEFA.jpeg
    2E07C155-2E62-4D27-B2AA-3AAEDD5BFEFA.jpeg
Welcome To BYC

Hard to know what's happened with her, but to me it looks like she's been beaten up. My first reaction is 2 roosters.

Get some saline, vetericyn or banixx - something you can rinse her head and eyes with.
Flush well (the eye too). I'd use triple antibitoic ointment around the eye and on the face. Even if you can't get all that dried blood from her face/wattles, apply a bit of ointment on top of the dried material - this will help it be more pliable and it will fall/come off more easily in the next day or so.

If you have her separated, don't worry about the spatter on her feathers. It will dry up and you'll be able to rub most of it out with a cloth in a few days.

The comb will stop bleeding. Can't tell if that's a large blood clot hanging off the end or if it's a small piece of comb hanging? If it's comb hanging, then you may want to just go ahead and snip that little piece off. You can put a bit of ice on the comb to help stop the bleeding if need be. Some use cornstarch or flour, but with her other head injuries, I'm not a fan of that since cornstarch gets everywhere and I wouldn't want it on the facial wounds. Use pressure and ice. Combs usually heal o.k. without ointments.

Main thing is to bring her through shock. Offer sugar water, electrolytes or similar. Keep her hydrated and calm. Work on that hydration.
IF she's been kicked and beat up like I suspect, then she's going to be sore for several days. She's probably been kicked in the breast. Offer wet feed for her to eat, monitor that she's swallowing o.k. and drinking very well. See a pattern here - fluids.

Now, it may not have been the roosters. Unless someone saw it no one really knows. It would be interesting to see the breeds of hens you have as well.
Welcome To BYC

I added some pictures. Thank you very much!

I would keep the dog crate with the flock for her comfort. Try her in a day or two out of the crate to make sure they are not pecking her face.
Thank you! I will move her out there this morning. Would you put the crate in the coop tonight or back in the garages?

Back
Top Bottom