What Could Steal a Big Rooster With no Evidence

HUGEPurplePuppy

Chirping
Jan 2, 2020
Ohio
I just lost my Big Brahma male. 8-10 lbs. No trace- no feathers or blood, at least where I can see. My dad found a very skittish female by herself hiding close to roosting time.
My only guess is he chased something off into the woods, where he got got, because I can’t imaging him going out without a messy fight.
Any guesses? I’m in central Ohio.

I'm sorry about this. Probably Coyote.
They do typically leave feathers but if it gets a good hold on a chicken it just breaks it's neck without a mess. I bet if you follow a wash or lower area in your woods, you'll find feathers eventually.
He was a big boy, so I was thinking coyote too, just didn’t realize we may have some here. I’m at a weird place of suburban meets country. Tons of homes but also farms.

The only other thing I can think of is that he fell off the ledge in the woods chasing something and fell in the creek. It’s kinda hard to navigate myself to get a great look without risking the same.

And thanks 😕. I still haven’t quite processed it, but I’m trying to look on the bright side. He did what roosters want to do and sired 7 beautiful children (2 of those gorgeous roosters) that may continue on his legacy. And by the state of how skitish that hen was he likely went out protecting his flock, which means he did his job. Gonna miss him though. He was a good boy.

Would a fox or coyote be able to take one out without a mess? Assuming it was in a place I was able to see a mess.

I know we have foxes around here, but I really am just surprised I haven’t seen feathers anywhere.
Yes. I had a fox take off with a duck about a month ago. If I didn't have a camera with video footage, I wouldn't have known what happened to her - no mess left behind. It carried her off live. 😢

Back
Top Bottom