What could this little barnyard mutt be?

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
I think this is a little pullet (she started growing a tail at 1.5 weeks old). She is 3 weeks old. Her daddy is a leghorn cross (he has a black spot on him so he isn't pure leghorn) and I think mom is one of my Dominiques or Dom crosses (I have a Dom/RIR and two Dom/Buff) because I think she has a rose comb. All of her hatch mates, so far, look like they are going to be mostly white. I'm trying to figure out what the other half of Dad is and who mom could be. Whatever she is, I think she is stinkin' cute!
Grey pullet 3 weeks.jpg
Grey pullet side 3 weeks.jpg

What I think you have created inadvertently is sex links since your White Leghorn cross doesn't appear to be dominant white.

If that is the case, then your barred Dominque hen, or the Dom cross if barred, is the mother. All the girls would be silver/white like dad and the boys would be barred like mom.

So I think you've got a WL non-dominant white cross/Dominque that is male.

(Btw tail growth has nothing to do with sex, especially not in barnyard mixes.)

I'd also watch that you may have more males since white is usually pretty dominant. It can hide the barring of the mother that is passed along to the males....but for some reason wasn't in this chick.

At any rate, all barred chicks (and look for ghost barring) will be male in that cross.

LofMc

My Dom crosses are barred with colored but still barred chests/belly (red in the RIR cross and buff with white skin in the buff crosses). The rooster they came from was a Dom.

I set these eggs under my Dom/Buff who went broody to see if she would make a good mama when I had pure breed eggs to set in the future. She is a wonderful mother. She hatched out 7 babies. I set 8 eggs, all were fertilized, but one stopped developing mid-way.
riding mama.jpg

mama and chicks on grass3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom