WHat cross to make Meat Birds?

morninggloryhatchery

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
Wasilla
Hi!
I am getting Delewares soon and i am wondering what other breed of bird i need to breed with a Delaware chicken to get a good quality meat bird. I heard of using a Delaware Roo with a RIR hen but im not sure. WHat do you guys think. I know Delawares are usually used as the core of making meat birds but what should i cross with them to make the meat bird better?Any help is welcome

Joy

Well, are you looking to eat the roosters or hens? (im guessing roosters, stupid question lol)

Any dual purpose breed would be OK, but you could order some dark cornish cockerals and breed them to your delawares for meat birds, or white rock roosters, or even barred rock.
Try choosing a heavier dual purpose rooster to breed.

We make these two crosses for sexlinks that result in decent size males for meat, and nice layers for females.

RIR roo x Delaware hen - male chicks are yellow, females are reddish.

Delaware roo X BR hen - male chicks are barred w/white blotch on the head, female chicks are black.

I've considered getting Dark Cornish to try crossing for meat. But just can't seem to make the space for yet another breed......someday though
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom