What daily snacks can ducks have?

Twhi7

Songster
Feb 9, 2021
I’m getting 5 adult ducks in a few weeks and was wondering besides their regular feed, what can I give them as snacks? I know they are fed mealworms and peas right now but what other foods can they have? Romaine lettuce? And are these things they can have daily - and if so, in what amounts?

I have a bunny and I know foods have to be introduced slowly to bunnies to prevent stomach issues, does this also apply to ducks?

thanks in advance!

Congratulations on getting ducks!

Here's a pretty good link to duck snacks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/

For my own ducks I try to keep the treats to a minimum so that they are mostly eating appropriately formulated duck food. If my ducks know I'm going to give them something delicious they will not eat their duck food to, "save room," for snacks. They are basically toddlers waiting for cookies. This doesn't seem to apply to foraging, however. After foraging they divebomb their food bowl.

I do give my ducks a very small handful of mealworms daily, mostly as a reward for going to bed when told or coming when called. Also a grape tomato or two (chopped) each. I'll put some greens into their water bucket. And that's about it on a regular basis. Occasionally, once or twice a month, I'll let them have one or two bites of whatever veggie I'm eating.

Yes, romaine lettuce is fine. My ducks like that kind. Sometimes I'll stick an entire head in their water bucket, leaf side up, and they'll rip pieces off. Ducks don't have the potential digestive issues that bunnies have, so you don't have to be careful in the same way. Ducks can be picky and think new foods are poison though.

Congratulations on getting ducks!

Here's a pretty good link to duck snacks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-duck-treats-and-supplements.242460/

For my own ducks I try to keep the treats to a minimum so that they are mostly eating appropriately formulated duck food. If my ducks know I'm going to give them something delicious they will not eat their duck food to, "save room," for snacks. They are basically toddlers waiting for cookies. This doesn't seem to apply to foraging, however. After foraging they divebomb their food bowl.

I do give my ducks a very small handful of mealworms daily, mostly as a reward for going to bed when told or coming when called. Also a grape tomato or two (chopped) each. I'll put some greens into their water bucket. And that's about it on a regular basis. Occasionally, once or twice a month, I'll let them have one or two bites of whatever veggie I'm eating.

Yes, romaine lettuce is fine. My ducks like that kind. Sometimes I'll stick an entire head in their water bucket, leaf side up, and they'll rip pieces off. Ducks don't have the potential digestive issues that bunnies have, so you don't have to be careful in the same way. Ducks can be picky and think new foods are poison though.
Good to know - thanks!

I’m getting 5 adult ducks in a few weeks and was wondering besides their regular feed, what can I give them as snacks? I know they are fed mealworms and peas right now but what other foods can they have? Romaine lettuce? And are these things they can have daily - and if so, in what amounts?

I have a bunny and I know foods have to be introduced slowly to bunnies to prevent stomach issues, does this also apply to ducks?

thanks in advance!
Personally I can't feed treats only at special occasions like if somebody comes over to see them or they are sick because my ducks don't like to eat there feed anyway and they eat a lot of grass while supervised free ranging

Minnows! They can also double as a boredom buster (albeit a short-lived one) if you put them in some water for the ducks to fish out.

Back
Top Bottom