What Day to Abandon Hatching?

sheilawagner

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Pacific NorthWest
Hi All,

On what day should we abandon a hatch? Day 23? 24? 25?

I have a Hova Bator Genesis 1588, have 21 eggs in there, 6 hatched, and it is day 22. I haven't seen any pip or movement in the remaining 15 eggs, although they showed good development on Day 18 when I candled them.

What day should I realistically expect to give up?

Sheila

I would wait a few days too.

You could always candle again and see if any have broken into the air sac. You can see their little heads moving around if they've done that.

Good luck.

Sheliawagner.. SO GLAD you asked this question since I am in the same boat and was coming to post my own question.. but I have one exception. Today is officially day 24.. went to bed with eggs in the incubator and thinking I would clean it out today to make room for some auction eggs that arrived yesterday.

Woke up with a new chick and two pips..
ya.gif

Shelly

Quote:
I am so happy for you shelly that must have been a wonderful present. Sooooo happy for you. And also thank you for this thread. I am new to this and still have 9 eggs in bator genesis 1588 as well. I wasn't giving them much hope but it is just day 21 still for mine as day 22 officially starts at 4pm...lol

I wonder who is still going to get a Christmas miracle from all these eggs...keep us posted on here people...good luck!

one poor baby died in the shell-- pipped but no peep.. all the others from that batch hatched on the 23rd with one lone BO on the 24th
hit.gif

Just took another BLRW out of the incubator.. checked all the other eggs and hear movement in one..
fl.gif
back to cook some more.
jumpy.gif

Good luck everyone waiting on Christmas chicks.. DH says we need to name the latest one HumBug.
celebrate.gif
. it will stick as long as I can identify it from the other 4 BLRW

Shelly

Shelly the BLRW babies are so pretty with all their color...since I only have one mine stands out the most and I love her so! Sill cooking the others...maybe I should try and candle them?

Oh and I just went out and saw the big girls and my 6 month old Cochin just laid her very first egg...it was small and perfect and darkish brown...I love her too she is my favorite of my big girls!

Last edited:
Shelly and Sheilla, if you're getting babies on day 24, check your temps. Late hatches usually mean cooler temps in the bator. If the temps are reading right, either cailibrate your thermometer or double check with a second thermometer. Also, you're babies can stay in the incubator for 3 days without food or water, so don't worry about "having" to take the babies out right away.

Last edited:
Sportster(motorcycle?)jeep - my temps have stayed at a constant 100.. two themometers.

Humidity was a concern at lockdown.. but has been 65-70% consistently since I took measures to lower it.

How long to wait -- I have one egg rocking now!!! no signs of a pip

Back
Top Bottom