What Day to Abandon Hatching?

Thanks Everyone. Today I took out the dried out chicks from the bator, only 6 total of 21. Then I candled the 15 still inside, all show development but no movement or signs of life. I'm going to listen to your advice, leave them untouched till day 25, and hope for a miracle. But its unlikely.

I'm just glad I have the 6 chicks.

Merry Christmas to all, Happy Holidays. Hope 2011 will be filled with happiness, more peeps and peace of mind for you and your loved ones.

I have left my 9 eggs in and I went ahead and finally candled 5 of the eggs. One had not developed at all so I cracked it open and there was nothing inside the other four had mostly dark and one I am sure we could see two feet so I put them back in??? I think Monday I will turn mine off.

Kinda hard to tell. I have a hova-bator also. (But I am selling it this week cause I have a new Clear Turbo). I hatched out 1 on the 21st day, 6 on the 22 day, 3 on the 23 day, and two so far today. I don't know whether to remove them or leave them there or what. I am afraid they might explode if the chicks are dead in the rest.

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Kinda hard to tell. I have a hova-bator also. (But I am selling it this week cause I have a new Clear Turbo). I hatched out 1 on the 21st day, 6 on the 22 day, 3 on the 23 day, and two so far today. I don't know whether to remove them or leave them there or what. I am afraid they might explode if the chicks are dead in the rest.

So you are still hatching on Day 24 . . . . I would not give up yet.. . .
I would wait until you go 2 days without any bumping, piping, or peeping... .

If you have the heat lamp set up, you could go in there and quickly remove the chicks that have hatched already.
It is recommended that you do this in a really steamed up bathroom so that you don't experience a large drop in humidity when you open the incubator to go after the hatched chicks.

At the same time, you could check the remaining eggs and remove any that are smelling funny / bad.​

Well day 23? For me and I took out three more eggs that did not develop! 5 left in there but I think one is starting to smell but I c,ant figure out who? I took all out, candled them best I could and sniffed each one carefully..but still couldn't smell the culprit? So back in they went but all the others hatched Thursday and Friday and no signs of any life with these. I think I have given up hope now...oh well.

I checked the eggs inside, no signs of life or movement, and I didn't want to touch them and smell them, in case I was messing it up further. I think we should abandon too, it is day 24. Nothing is moving at all.

It might be time to give up, but I feel as if it is my own doing that the eggs are not hatching, I have read so many of you who explain all the different factors why some eggs develop to the end but don't hatch. I know the reasons, but I can't help but feel it is my fault. The guilt is self-inflicted and it was such a bad feeling for me yesterday.

I was so upset with myself, beating myself up, I did something very impulsive. (Signs showing I'm an addicted chickenholic
roll.png
) I went to McMurray's website, and ended up ordering 25 day old chicks, due in Feb. I know I shouldn't have, but you know what, I felt immediately comforted knowing, though I may suck at hatching (only 6 out of 21 this batch), I will soon have 25 (+1 surprise exotic) chicks climbing over me, and I felt better. Not that guilty anymore about those eggs I'm abandoning.

At least I have 6 baby chicks that I got out... And all their toes are fine, and they look perfect, no malpositions or curled toes. They are now healthily running around in the brooder, eating, sleeping and exploring.

Hi Math Ace,

Those were shipped eggs. They were packaged well, and I did everything I knew to make sure they were all set right, timing, pre-incubating, everything I've been researching and reading.
But of 21 in lockdown, 14 silkies and 7 mille fleur cochins, only 6 hatched. I felt really down, but I'm still keeping the other 15 in the incubator for any miracles. But I doubt it.

I'll wait till day 25 and then maybe one more day, so to give it the ultimate wait possible. After that, I'll give up on the batch.

Back
Top Bottom