What defines a good rooster?

Pics
I've had just about enough of our rooster Napoleon. He's a little Porcelain D'Uccle, but acts like a 12 pound RIR. He has to be locked up, especially when little children are out, because he will run after them and attack them. He's young enough that he doesn't really have spurs yet, but those powerful taloned feet pack a punch. I was stroking his mate the other day, not even noticing him glaring at me when WHACK, he gives my hand a nasty blow. His arch nemesis are black Crocs. He really hates them.

Maybe Sir Duke is crowing more because he’s noticing the 2nd one crowing now?

He started crowing rather young(8 weeks). The rooster across the road was crowing all day long for a couple weeks, that was when Sir Duke started crowing. I think the other rooster brought the crowing on. The rooster across the road has calmed down(maybe the beginning of Spring thing?) the other neighbor down the road have 15-20 roosters, you would think that would be loud but you only hear them on occasion.

So far the two I have are getting along. I never thought it would be the leghorn taking the lead but he has, so far.

I do have a plan b just in case it all falls apart.

Last edited:
54E63169-0919-446E-BE23-1FCF2D3AC63E.jpeg
8D6A6307-2A4D-4271-BD60-295E343CF3FE.jpeg
Mr Spot is 10 lbs of teddy bear barred rock. He lives chattering to anyone that will chat with him, covers his girls, always tidbits for them, keeps an eye out for danger and does his dinosaur growl as a warning, will eat out of my hand and comes running if he spies me with anything but if I tell him no snackies will go on pecking the ground. He has walked with me in the yard and is 2 yrs old. I never worry about watching my back with him but you guys have me worried that he will turn demon on me. “He was a nice rooster until...” is that for ALL roosters? Are there any exceptions that some stay your pride and joy?

View attachment 1399282 View attachment 1399283 Mr Spot is 10 lbs of teddy bear barred rock. He lives chattering to anyone that will chat with him, covers his girls, always tidbits for them, keeps an eye out for danger and does his dinosaur growl as a warning, will eat out of my hand and comes running if he spies me with anything but if I tell him no snackies will go on pecking the ground. He has walked with me in the yard and is 2 yrs old. I never worry about watching my back with him but you guys have me worried that he will turn demon on me. “He was a nice rooster until...” is that for ALL roosters? Are there any exceptions that some stay your pride and joy?
I would think at this age, he'd be pretty trustworthy. Of course there is that one who will lose his mind, but I think that's rare after they get to be a year or two old. Just watch him. Generally, they will exhibit behaviors before they ever attack. The problem is, those behaviors aren't always recognized by a chicken keeper who has never seen them before.

My last several roosters were calm and gentle. Not all roosters will turn on their keepers. You just hear about it more here because people are looking for help.

I had Mr Spot same time I had Rudy (another rooster). Rudy began crowing at 5 mths old and was really pretty, flashy but was a total a-hole. He and I had some pretty memorable fights with me having to punch in as he flew at me. He was about to have his next battle royal with his head on the chopping block until a coyote did me the favor. My bantam rooster Mr Toughie is a good roi just not as easy going as Spot. Toughie’s kids are good but one of his sons has a few weeks to settle down or he will be gone. He is calked Junior and is only 5 weeks old and crowing and chest bumping everyone but he still avoids us. As long as he keeps his distance, he can stay. But I really think that to be so “cocky” if you will pardon the term at such an early age has me concerned.

. As long as he keeps his distance, he can stay. But I really think that to be so “cocky” if you will pardon the term at such an early age has me concerned.
Youngsters are still finding their place ....Longs you let him know your place he will still respect you . If he steps out of line ...put him in his place .
Usually a good rooster stays a good rooster ..unless something happens to him .
I had a australorp Roo that only twice in 5 years forgot his place ...he pecked me when i had treats and was running away with them .. he immediately remembered his place and ran away with me chasing him ..one time I put some food in my hand for him ...he was so excited he accidentally pecked my hand instead..his manner instantly said oopps Im sorry
I had a sumatra Roo that was a sweety ..he and his mate used to both set on my lap .
then he got attacked by a hawk ..I helped him by running off the hawk .. but his personality changed after that . he lost a lot of blood and feathers and got a good cut on his back from it . after that he became a attack chicken .
all other sweet Roosters Ive had stayed sweet till they died .
Just treat them like you are there boss which you are..
the good ones should stay the way they are .
A smart Rooster learns from discipline..a Dumb one doesnt ..

IMG_0849.JPG
my boy he-he( from moana) is perfect. he leads his hens everywhere and is always on the look out. he is what I call a good rooster.

For the first time Sir Duke crowed with me near by. I looked at him and asked what he wanted, he crowed one more time and went on his way. I think he thought I had treats. He responds to no well. He kind of tried to grab one of the girls, a stern no stopped him in his tracks. I am enjoying watching him and learning. He seems to be doing all the right things. Keeping my fingers crossed. Tonite they all kind of laid together and he seemed to be standing guard.

Do all roosters sound the same ? Not the crowing but their regular talking. The leghorn has a soft babawk and the others kind of coo.

I have heard that we have a “chicken name”. Meaning that there is a different sounding cluck, rumble any vocalisation when we go near. It might mean hurray breakfast or its the human but if they are content they will make it only when they see you. I never noticed until I read this but after paying attention the ones more bonded do it. The ones that sort of ignore me do not do that.

View attachment 1400477
my boy he-he( from moana) is perfect. he leads his hens everywhere and is always on the look out. he is what I call a good rooster.
my little sister loves him. She is always trying to hold him. even when she chases him( even after I tell her no) and he is totally fine. she got to name him when he was born. it is a cool experience watching them hatch and grow. I think being around people from birth can help with tempermant, but all roosters are different.

Back
Top Bottom