What did this??? :(

The way the hardware cloth was torn leads me to believe a coyote did it, but maybe a fox. Something with some strength. Coyote can come with red tint to the fur. Something that could wiggle itself through that hole... typically if the head fits, the rest of it will fit too.

I've never seen it ripped like that though, usually the staples pop before it tears like that. Is the hardware cloth screwed down with washers to give it enough strength to hold up and tear instead?

It does look cut on the left side. So weird!

If it had been humans, it would be a neater cut hole. Why cut only one side and rip the rest? Add the fur, and it isn't human.

It seriously sucks when that stuff happens, but glad you're trying again!

Wow! the edges of the hardware cloth look so clean cut it's almost as if someone cut it, but logically I just don't see a person going in that way. Seems like too small a hole and with inconvenient access.

That is just bananas. That kind of damage looks like what I'd expect to see on plain ol' chicken wire. I've read of raccoons and what have you being able get through hardware but that's usually by popping the staples out of the hardware cloth from the top/bottom/sides of the run and getting in through the hole...not by biting or tearing apart the 'squares'.

I wonder if it could be bear or big dog. Maybe coyote? Just this past Tuesday my aunt said one of her chickens got locked in the garage over night. The next morning when she went to take her trash out she noticed something had chewed a pretty big hole in her METAL garage door. It had left teeth marks and some blood behind, but it didn't get through thank goodness. We live just outside the city but it's very uncommon for bears in this area, uncommon but not outside the realm of possibilities.

Were your chickens locked in their coop? or did this happen during the day time when they were out in the run?

I still say only a large predator could have this strength or motivation. Like a bear, cougar, or human, but I don't think cougars tear into things like coops. It's kinda creepy, to be honest.

The tips of the wires look cut to me. They are all pretty uniformly "broken" at the same angle, in the same spot of the interlacing. Unless there was a random major weak spot...it seems suspicious.

Last edited:
It was sandwiched in between the wood looks like? If so I think that break is possible ....but yes something with power...seen a coyote do similar damage no a friends coup coyote got in chased it off Fox was few hours behind it .....any tracks or scat? Also check a ever widen circle out from scene have heard finding more evidence a little farther away.....start again don't be discouraged

judging on that first picture you posted, it looks cut. its suspicious how it goes one square over and straight down then is bent in. also no blood? weird. also is it elevated? my guess would be a person.

I agree with jc17. Its a bit suspicious how there is no blood at all. I would have thought there would of at least been a bit if they were take by a predator.

I am no expert but I just started building my pen using 19 gauge 1/2 x1/2 hardware cloth. It doesn't look or behave like yours in the photo. 19 gauge is very stiff, thicker than what you have pictured and is very unwielding. The hardware cloth I worked with this weekend is too stiff to sag or droop or stretch, as it seems to be doing in your photo.

I would check and make sure the new coop is 1/2 in and 19 gauge.

So sorry for your experience and hope your son gets through it unscathed.

Back
Top Bottom