What did we do wrong?

Momagain1

Songster
8 Years
Feb 13, 2011
Central IL
Our Turken roo; albeit beautiful...went after us yesterday. he's 6 ish months old. he's HUGE...

205865_2050592102665_1180370400_31905215_1847845_n.jpg

anyway...My 5 yr old is timid around him; we've been working on it w/her...
so she & I hand in hand; walked near him yesterday while free ranging...

he spread his wings and came after me..so I kicked his rump away from us..as I pushed Lydia out of the way...
he came back at me more...so I did it again; then chased him into the run, closed the door while I was in there w/him and followed him..
he did NOT come after me again; but I had a broom and was trying to show him he didnt run me off...

I KNOW I prob. didnt handle this correctly; so

A: I should expect this again??

B: What to do CORRECTLY so he knows I'm boss.

C: Is this behavior correctable? I know he's to protect the girls..however..if he is going to flog us everyday..he's gone...

He does get carried by his legs upside down on occasion..he hates it..but its usually done by my son and my husband..
could he have done this cause I've not done that? I'm the treat giver...hmmm...

(Yes; Lydia is now forbidden to go near him.. for now)...

Last edited:
he flips out when you first hold him upside down..he flaps and squawks and bends upwards to try to peck ....

but he eventually gives up and hangs there...

normal?

Many of us have had the same problem... Do a search on BYC.... But depending on your passion toward this roo... is how hard you'll try to correct his aggressiveness . I finally gave up and Earl is in the freezer. This is a personal choice, when my grandkids were in danger I threw in the towel. Good luck.

Quote:
Yep, I did a search..got many differing opinions...

I also was kinda prepared for it by doing research before the chickens came into existence too...

Unfortunately; this Roo is the ONLY chicken my son is super, SUPER emotionally attached too..and he is homeschooled
so he doesnt have friends really..excpet for our church friends...but he spends a good hour with Mr. The King each day...
He adores him and cries when we try to get him to realize that he is a CHICKEN, not a pet...and that SOMEDAY, he'll be gone..
depending on if he's aggressive or gets too cocky/loud for our area...

sooo..right now..we'll try to correct it...

He's at the age where breeding is on his mind and you'll more than likely have to keep showing him who's boss until he "gets it".
What you described when holding him by his feet is completely normal. You can either do that...or I've also gone in and picked my roos up and carried them all around with me while I'm doing stuff around the coops-in front of his hens and several times a day until no objections.
My Orp roo will still attempt to scare off strangers that come up..but doesn't dare go after any of us or anyone that's with us.
My Ameraucana roo just keeps his distance or goes the other way..away, and my young English Orp roo hasn't figured out that he can do anything yet so he's still just getting picked up and carried every time I go out there
smile.png

Hope you can get him "trained"!
If your 5 yr old could be out there with you and you also let her hold him upside down with you right there after he's submitted, he should also see her as dominant as well. I wouldn't let her near him without you or someone there at all times though, just like you said
smile.png

I'm like that with any small children that visit or with others that aren't used to animals, with my chickens, dogs or cats.
Accidents can happen quickly until they are old enough, or been around animals enough, to completely understand how to handle them and watch for warning signals.

I have a Hamburg rooster who ran at me once, a kicked the rooster so hard I'm surprised he survived and he hasn't run at me since. In fact, he avoids me as much as he can.

I'm gonna say good luck. I had Rosco a red sex link rooster. He was big, impressive looking, protective and ultimately turned mean. I really like that rooster and was sad to see him go. His ultimate demise was when he started going after me consistently. I am the guy that had sent his butt flying many times. If he would do it to me he'd do it to anyone. I saved his skull and am preparing to mount it for display.

RIP Rosco Chicken Bird.......

Back
Top Bottom