What did you do in the garden today?

Today is summer solstice, so happy solstice folks. If you personally know any pagans etc., you should wish them a happy solstice today - they'll be really happy you thought of them, especially today. :) It's one of the least-recognized holidays on the calendar and it can be hard to celebrate as a result.
I love having pagan rituals because they're so seasonally focused and really get me hyped for agriculture and nature and growing things. That's a lot of what was on my mind as I did a short prayer for that today. I also harvested some herbs to dry - it's a lucky day to do that on if you care about those things.
Then I did a bit of weeding, checking up on, and re-arranging in my garden today. Some of the tomatoes need tying again, even though I just did some a week ago. The leeks need mulching again too. I pulled flowers off of a bunch of plants and moved some of my GIANT zucchini plants off of the top of some herbs I have growing. I have ONE dill patch and I don't need the zucchini shading that out! The corn is starting to flower.
Still nothing really fruiting yet. It's gonna take some time before we get big crops of anything. The second flush of strawberries is starting to come in, clover is in full bloom all over, and the radishes are about ready to harvest! Also it's garlic scape time today. :) So there's a little, but I'm most excited for things like fresh zucchini and beans and tomatoes, hot peppers etc. etc. and nothing like that is anywhere near ready yet.
All the early plants (spinach, kale, peas etc.) that weren't radishes got eaten by evil groundhogs, but so far no more of those since the last encounter. Instead things just seem to be growing and leafing rapidly, which is great.

More rain later this week. Great growing weather for plants, but if the heat keeps up I worry about what late summer will look like. Fingers crossed it's not too overwhelming.

Maybe I'll finally get my camera back in action and get some photos.

Well
Today is summer solstice, so happy solstice folks. If you personally know any pagans etc., you should wish them a happy solstice today - they'll be really happy you thought of them, especially today. :) It's one of the least-recognized holidays on the calendar and it can be hard to celebrate as a result.
I love having pagan rituals because they're so seasonally focused and really get me hyped for agriculture and nature and growing things. That's a lot of what was on my mind as I did a short prayer for that today. I also harvested some herbs to dry - it's a lucky day to do that on if you care about those things.
Then I did a bit of weeding, checking up on, and re-arranging in my garden today. Some of the tomatoes need tying again, even though I just did some a week ago. The leeks need mulching again too. I pulled flowers off of a bunch of plants and moved some of my GIANT zucchini plants off of the top of some herbs I have growing. I have ONE dill patch and I don't need the zucchini shading that out! The corn is starting to flower.
Still nothing really fruiting yet. It's gonna take some time before we get big crops of anything. The second flush of strawberries is starting to come in, clover is in full bloom all over, and the radishes are about ready to harvest! Also it's garlic scape time today. :) So there's a little, but I'm most excited for things like fresh zucchini and beans and tomatoes, hot peppers etc. etc. and nothing like that is anywhere near ready yet.
All the early plants (spinach, kale, peas etc.) that weren't radishes got eaten by evil groundhogs, but so far no more of those since the last encounter. Instead things just seem to be growing and leafing rapidly, which is great.

More rain later this week. Great growing weather for plants, but if the heat keeps up I worry about what late summer will look like. Fingers crossed it's not too overwhelming.

Maybe I'll finally get my camera back in action and get some photos.
Happy Solstice to you! I don't really identify as pagan these days, but I might as well be considering I am an open spiritualist type person.

Haha, thanks Dunnmom, though I more meant pagans you may know IRL. :)

I got sun burnt today, just enough to be bothersome. A little too much sun worship I guess. :p I spent my evening with my weekly DnD group. Good stuff. We played outside to honor the solstice and we did everything by candlelight and bonfire. :D It was super cool & it made me really happy to get to share that with friends.

I also got to show off all the plants to my DnD group. They seemed a little impressed with the garden. It's going to be insanely over grown in a month's time and I can't wait to see their faces when I start getting food out of it. Crazy, giant amounts of food. I wanna feed my DnD group entirely out of my garden sometime. I think this year I will actually be getting everything growable but fats and sugars out of my garden (maybe even grains!) and can really make a great and thematic and tasty meal out of it! I am excited!

Sorry to hear about your troubles Penny. :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom