What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Yummers! It's late June where you are? Funny, it's still May here! :D

2. tls_ranch

tls_ranch Stares at Chickens

My garden looks like it normally would in late June. Everything is about a month early. The tomato plants are over 3-4 ft tall bushes already. I risked planting early than normal because we had a warmer than usual spring. On the downside, It has been so warm/ dry here in CA that there is a red flag warning for wildfire danger today:(

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My garden is sadly about a month behind in it's growth. I have spinach, kale, lettuce and chard going strong from seeds planted last fall in my hay bale cold frame. Just now getting stuff planted. Temp was low 30's last night.

4. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Ny has gotten plenty of rain and wind temps been in 80* down to mid forties all in 24 hour time frame. Garlic looks good wont be long before garlic scape pesto, flowers and rose blushes are starting to bud, night shade family could be doing better. Happy gardening

5. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Hey all new to this tread.
    Today, we literally took a shop vac and ran extension cords to our garden and sucked up potato bugs!!!! My bf ran the shop vac, then I went behind him and squished any that he missed!

It's been awful already and the plants r only 1 1/2 feet tall!!! We have picked & picked!!! We just can't seem to stay ahead of them this year. We have treated & treated! Nothing seems to kill them!

Any suggestions!??

6. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Tansy, nasturtium, coriander, catnip planted with or around suppose to repel them could you cover them? Good luck

7. roselia

roselia New Egg

May 28, 2014
    Harvested tomatoes and mushrooms.

8. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    What would I cover them with that could keep bugs out, but still allow sunlight?

9. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    Perhaps a fine mesh? Or you could let your chickens run through and gobble them up. Have you tried soapy water spray?

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My chickens won't touch a potato bug or larvae. But I loved the shop vac idea. Bet it made a mess of the vac! If you have enough potato plants to justify the expense, you can spray them with BT. That's only toxic to potato bugs. If you don't let your chickens in the garden, Sevin does a good job. Hand picking works unless the infestation is severe. I wonder if a garlic and soap spray would work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by