What did you do in the garden today?

Perhaps a fine mesh? Or you could let your chickens run through and gobble them up. Have you tried soapy water spray?

My chickens won't eat them either. Lol. No, we haven't tried soapy water. Never heard of that one! But I'd try about anything at this point.

My chickens won't touch a potato bug or larvae.  But I loved the shop vac idea.  Bet it made a mess of the vac!  If you have enough potato plants to justify the expense, you can spray them with BT.  That's only toxic to potato bugs.  If you don't let your chickens in the garden, Sevin does a good job.  Hand picking works unless the infestation is severe.  I wonder if a garlic and soap spray would work? 

It really didn't. Just dumped them all into a coffee can, dumped in some gas, & lit em up. Lol
What is BT?? We have 140 hills of potatoes, hand picking is HORRID! Sevin hasn't worked at all for us. We've always used that, but this year its just not doing anything.

I know what you mean about store bought potatoes. They're a completely different vegetable than home grown. Store bought taste like dirt. Home grown taste fresh. BT is a bacteria that specifically invades the potato bug and kills it. It is not toxic to any other insects or animals. It's a bit on the pricey side... I think about $15 for enough to perhaps last you all season. My potato crop is going to be very small. The entire bed is about 4' x 5', with them spaced 1' apart each way.

I watered the garden today. I found 2 little yellow flowers on a tomato plant! Getting excited for some juicy tomatoes now! Last night, the hubby and I planted two peach tree starts. So we will see what becomes of those!

Got everything in and planted over the weekend- tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, peas, cabbage, celery, cucumbers and eggplant!
Cut/picked a bunch of asparagus (it's already growing back so fast!). The onions, kale, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are seem to be coming along and thriving!

And now we wait!

My raspberries don't seem to be doing much of anything! Perhaps I'll have to plant more in the fall. I've got bunches more stuff to plant! Ugh! Not enough time in a day!

I watered the garden yesterday and then it rained 1.38 inches overnight. Now its raining even more. Love it for the vegies. Hate it for my animal pens. Muck muck and more muck. Have lots of tomato blooms and asparagus is dwindling fast. Peas are blooming but I only have half a row after the chickies ate the rest. Crab grass is filling in nicely too.

Watered then turned the compost bins. It's so hot and dry here I have to wet the materiel at least every third day or the compost drys out so much things stop cooking.

Back
Top Bottom