What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    My chickens won't eat them either. Lol. No, we haven't tried soapy water. Never heard of that one! But I'd try about anything at this point.

It really didn't. Just dumped them all into a coffee can, dumped in some gas, & lit em up. Lol
    What is BT?? We have 140 hills of potatoes, hand picking is HORRID! Sevin hasn't worked at all for us. We've always used that, but this year its just not doing anything.

2. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    140 hills that is a lot of potatoe's ..i think i have 10

3. sonderah

sonderah Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Hardinsburg, Ky
    Last year we had 70, but we ran out MONTHS ago. So trying to see if we can make em last all yr. I despise store potatoes. Lol

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I know what you mean about store bought potatoes. They're a completely different vegetable than home grown. Store bought taste like dirt. Home grown taste fresh. BT is a bacteria that specifically invades the potato bug and kills it. It is not toxic to any other insects or animals. It's a bit on the pricey side... I think about $15 for enough to perhaps last you all season. My potato crop is going to be very small. The entire bed is about 4' x 5', with them spaced 1' apart each way.

5. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

I watered the garden today. I found 2 little yellow flowers on a tomato plant! Getting excited for some juicy tomatoes now! Last night, the hubby and I planted two peach tree starts. So we will see what becomes of those!

6. JSossong

JSossong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Western PA
    Got everything in and planted over the weekend- tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, peas, cabbage, celery, cucumbers and eggplant!
    Cut/picked a bunch of asparagus (it's already growing back so fast!). The onions, kale, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries are seem to be coming along and thriving!

And now we wait!

7. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    My raspberries don't seem to be doing much of anything! Perhaps I'll have to plant more in the fall. I've got bunches more stuff to plant! Ugh! Not enough time in a day!

8. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Peas are blooming and pole beans are starting to climb . Watered tomatoes and peppers . We need a good rain .

9. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    I watered the garden yesterday and then it rained 1.38 inches overnight. Now its raining even more. Love it for the vegies. Hate it for my animal pens. Muck muck and more muck. Have lots of tomato blooms and asparagus is dwindling fast. Peas are blooming but I only have half a row after the chickies ate the rest. Crab grass is filling in nicely too.

10. Sill

Sill Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Tempe, AZ
    Watered then turned the compost bins. It's so hot and dry here I have to wet the materiel at least every third day or the compost drys out so much things stop cooking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by