What did you do in the garden today?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Dara77, May 27, 2012.

1. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I love broccoli. I have never planted any, but my mom and dad raised broccoli always had plenty.

Got my first squash and cucumbers this week. My squash plants are big, but now I'm having blossom end rot and some are getting a few inches long and then rotting. Any idea what I can do to stop it?

2. Stuffedcritter

Stuffedcritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    Canajoharie
    Spray with calcium, treat it like you would a tomato or pepper with end rot.

1 person likes this.
  3. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Many fruits of squash, zucchini, and cucumbers will look like end rot but they might not be getting pollunated. They will start but die if not pollunated, but you can pollunate them yourself...

4. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    X2

5. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    sure! Just put on a little Barry White, dim the lights, and using a feather, pollinate away!

6. Bethel3330

Bethel3330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    WV
    They will not set fruit in the first place if they aren't fertilized.
    Blossom end rot is caused by a lack of calcium in the plant as it grows the fruit @lularat. Don't fertilize the plant so much. It disrupts the calcium uptake. You might put some bone meal on the soil and water it in but I don't know of it'll help once the process has started. We only used compost this year and put bone meal in each hole for tomatoes, as we were having this problem because my husband always went miracle gro crazy in the past. No more.
    We've harvested a half dozen tomatoes. So far, so good!
    Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  7. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    Thanks everyone. Appears as if it is too late for me to do anything. The plants are full grown and I will occasionally get a squash or two, even though most of them rotting. I do have some other squash plants planted in a different area and so far they seem okay.

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My garden is finally shaping up. I transplanted some All Blue potatoes that came up in the path. Spread a lot of mulch. It's amazing how the stuff just melts into the soil. I had 20 contractor bags of leaves, and 20 bales of hay. I'm down to 1 bale of hay and 2 bags of leaves, and still not done mulching. One tomato blooming. Planted sun flowers, red milo, and a 3 color bean mix within the last week. Need to plant a few more cukes and dill. Trellised the peas, staked down the deer netting so the girls can't get under it, clipped it at the top with clothes pins. They spent the first day running around the garden, bouncing off the netting, trying to figure out how to get in. Filled 2 pots with flowers and mint. Still a lot of flowers to plant. This summer will be over before i get all of my spring gardening done. working too many hours and not enough energy left at the end of the day.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Gorgeous! My favorite rose is "Singing in the Rain". Prolific, grown on its own root stock, (at least ours was) and fragrant and beautiful. What more can you ask from a rose? (Well, besides being available!) We had one in South Dakota that would knock everyone's socks off every time they saw it. It held up to those harsh Eastern South Dakota winters beautifully. When we moved the people who got the house loved it, so I left it for them figuring I'd get one after we got settled here in Wyoming. Um, nope! Took 3 years of searching (including three trips back to SD searching). Finally found them on line, ordered two of them, and only got one and a Mr. Lincoln. The Singing in the Rain is doing okay here, but not like it did back there. Had to modify the care to allow for our much drier summers. If any of you rose lovers ever get your hands on one.......BTW, it's a Jackson/Perkins rose.

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oh I can see why you love it !

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/193270/#b

I have a beautiful David Austin rose called ' Jude the obscure' , it's one of my favourite and it has a dreamy scent.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by